Client Press Releases
Hit The Piste On A Budget And Beat The Crunch
22 January 2009
As Europe experiences the best early snow for 25 years, easyJet has compiled a credit crunch-busting guide to winter sports holidays.
With easyJet flights to ski destinations starting at just £30.99, it has never been more affordable to get to the slopes and the low cost airline has now passed on its top 10 tips to hitting the piste on a budget.
- 1. Try before you buy - if you are a beginner have lessons at your local indoor ski slope to ensure you are ready for your trip and don't need to pay for expensive lessons on arrival
- 2. Be an early Bird and get that worm... the earlier you book your flights the cheaper it will be
- 3. Buy second-hand snowboarding and ski equipment or beg and borrow from your friends. Indoor ski centres such as SNO!zone often sell off kit or try eBay or Amazon for good deals
- 4. Be flexible... it is often cheaper to fly mid week rather than on a weekend - easyJet.com is offering flights to Geneva from £30.99*
- 5. Take a short break... easyJet has 47 flights a day from the UK to Geneva which is only an hour away from the likes of Chamonix and Morzine. Both resorts are now geared up to handle those not travelling Saturday to Saturday so it's easier than ever before. Flights arrive early morning and leave late so you can spend more time on the slopes.
- 6. Get a cheap transfer from the airport to the resort... there are lots of companies offering cheap transfers if you share with those arriving on your flight, especially from Geneva. Do a bit of research to keep the cost down, it can be far cheaper than hiring a car and there's usually a free ski bus in resort to the slopes.
- 7. Consider self catering or a hostel for cheaper accommodation... www.gitevagabond.com offers rooms from 14.40 Euros a night and has two person rooms as well as dorms. They are geared up for those looking for snow as well as the après ski
- 8. Picnic on the piste.... with some of the best ski conditions for 25 years picnic on the piste, enjoy the snow and the views without a bill at the end
- 9. Get an annual travel insurance policy including winter sports from as little as £25. Try www.easyjet4insurance.com or price comparison sites for the best deal and check out the small print before you buy!
- 10. Consider Eastern Europe for a cheaper deal... somewhere like Bulgaria or Slovenia will cost half the price. Ski resorts such as Bansko in Bulgaria offer great deals for beginners and intermediate and it's easy to get transfers from Sofia airport.
David Osborne, easyJet's general manager, said: "There's a misconception that snow holidays are restricted to the middle classes and that is definitely no longer the case.
"Direct flights throughout the day every day and the ability to package your holiday to suit your budget, means you can avoid the jetset locations and still enjoy some of the best snow conditions in the last 25 years."
Carrie Hainge, marketing manager for the Ski Club of Great Britain, added: "There has been significant snowfall since the beginning of the ski season providing some of the best early conditions we have seen for 25 years.
"In particular Obergurgl in Austria and Tignes in France have superb conditions and currently report some of the best snow depths in Europe."
easyJet flies to airports across Europe ideally located for the continent's best ski destinations including Geneva for resorts such as Courmayer in Italy and Verbier in Switzerland, Grenoble for Tignes, Alpe d'Huez and Val D'Isere in France and Innsbruck for Austrian resorts such as Obergurgl and Kaprun.
To make it even easier for customers to get to the slopes easyJet has launched an interactive ski map, showing the best airports to fly to for all the major resorts with transfer times and prices.
easyJet flights to ski destinations start from just £30.99 per person (one way) at www.easyJet.com. Accommodation available from www.easyJethotels.net
Notes to editors
easyJet is Europe's leading low-fares airline, currently operating 166 aircraft on 400 routes between 109 airports in 27 countries. easyJet carried 44 million passengers in the past 12 months.
easyJet flies from the UK to the following ski airports:
Barcelona, Basel, Geneva, Grenoble, Helsinki, Innsbruck, Ljubljana, Lyon, Malaga, Linate, Milan Malpensa, Nice, Salzburg, Sofia, Toulouse, Turin, Venice, Zurich.