Client Press Releases
Hessle Ladies 'Eye Up' The Finish Line
18 June 2009
Staff at a local opticians deserve a well-earned pat on the back after completing the Race for Life, organised by Cancer Research UK.
Kay Weaver, Zoe Bahn, Laura Blacklock, Joanne Jackson, Charlene Clayton and Jane Gray - all from the Hessle Specsavers store - have raised more than £400 through sponsorship from their colleagues, loyal customers, family and friends.
The team all took part in the 5k race at the Costello Stadium in Hull on Sunday 31 May.
Hessle Specsavers store director, Kay Weaver says: 'We're so relived we all made it to the finish line in one piece!
'It's such a worthy cause that we were all motivated to take part and do our bit for Cancer Research UK. The Race for Life itself was a great experience and we feel really proud of ourselves for the money we all worked hard to raise. We'd like to thank everyone who sponsored us and for those who supported us on the day who all came along to watch us make a 'spectacle' of ourselves!'
The Race for Life takes place every year and is the largest women-only fundraising event in the UK, having raised £240 million which goes towards funding the work of more than 4,500 scientists, doctors and nurses who are dedicated to help more people beat cancer.
The day proved both uplifting and enjoyable for all who took part and their efforts were rewarded with a much-deserved medal and goody bag at the end.
Specsavers notes to editors
- Specsavers was founded by Doug and Dame Mary Perkins in 1984 and is now the largest privately owned opticians in the world
- The couple still run the company, along with their three children. Their eldest son John is joint managing director
- Specsavers has more than 1,380 stores throughout the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Spain, Australia and New Zealand.
- Annual turnover for the Specsavers Group is forecast to reach a record £1.4 billion in 2009
- Specsavers optical stores and hearing centres are owned and run by joint venture or franchise partners.
- Specsavers employs more than 26,000 staff
- Specsavers was voted Britain's most trusted brand of opticians for the eighth year running by Reader's Digest in 2009
- Greater than one in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers * - nine and a half million glasses were exported from the warehouse to stores in 2008
- Specsavers is the largest retail provider of home delivery contact lenses in Europe and one of the top two retail suppliers of continuous wear lenses in the world
- Specsavers is now the largest retail dispenser of digital hearing aids in the UK and offer a hearing service from more than 400 locations.
- Specsavers supports numerous optical and hearing charities, including Diabetes UK, for whom they have raised more than £250,000 to fund research into diabetic retinopathy
- Since 2003 more than a quarter of a million glasses have been collected and recycled by Specsavers stores for Vision Aid Overseas for use in developing countries
*GfK Home Audit (Dec 2008)