Client Press Releases
On Your Marks, Set, Snow!
26 November 2009
The first ever Snowball Rally has raised £10,000 for youth charity Snow-Camp which gives disadvantaged young people the chance to experience mountain sports .
The brand new fundraising event organised by Snow-Camp saw 11 carfuls of skiers and snowboarders from as far afield as York and Cornwall lining up at the indoor snow slope at SNO!zone in Milton Keynes to begin a race to ride 37 slopes across England in just three days.
The 11 teams were asked to plan a route around England to ride as many real snow and artificial slopes as possible over a 3-day period with slopes located as far apart as Carlisle in the North and Torquay in the South.
Cornish trio George, Mike and Pat from 'Team Kernow Sessions ' were crowned the eventual 2009 Champions, riding an amazing 26 slopes in the time allowed including Plymouth, Dorset, Southampton, Halifax, Sheffield and Castleford.
The Snowball Rally concluded with a huge party held at the Milton Keynes SNO!zone, where the slope was open late for Snowball Rally competitors to complete the final slope of their challenge.
Snow-Camp Director Dan Charlish said, " We have been totally amazed at the effort and commitment that teams have shown in making this first ever Rally such a success. Despite the poor weather conditions we still had teams dressing up as gorillas, Santa Claus, Ali G, and even a pantomime cow . The stories and adventures we've heard about from the teams' road trip around the countries ski slopes have been fantastic too ."
- SNO!zone operates three real snow slopes in the UK based in Braehead, Glasgow, Castleford, Leeds and Milton Keynes
- SNO!zone Milton Keynes opened in 2001 with Castleford following in 2003 and Braehead opening in 2006
- Each 170m long main slope is covered with more than 1700 tonnes of fresh snow
- As well as the main slope, a dedicated lesson slope at each centre allows visitors to learn the basics of skiing and snowboarding with qualified instructors
- Activities on offer at every centre include skiing, snowboarding, sledging and ice sliding
- When not on the slope, visitors can enjoy some après ski at the Alpine themed SNO!bars