Brands Drive Growth Gluten Wheat Free Market Continues To Boom
Tuesday, 08 February 2011
The gluten and wheat free market in the UK is continuing to show strong growth, according to latest market figures from gluten free brand leaders, DS-gluten free.
Latest Kantar Worldpanel data (52 w/e 26 December 2010), commissioned by DS-gluten free, shows that the total gluten and wheat free market is now worth more than £120.2 million - up 14.8 per cent year on year.
Brands are growing ahead of the market at 17.3 per cent, with private labels under-trading at 9.3 per cent.
In retail, Tesco and Sainsbury's represent 54 per cent of the market, with Asda, Sainsbury's and Waitrose showing double digit growth year on year.
Bread, sweet biscuits and cakes are proving the top drivers of value sales, with frozen gluten and wheat free products also performing well.
Emma Herring, Retail Brand Manager at DS-gluten free, said: "It's great to see the market continuing to grow at such a rapid pace, and brands such as DS-gluten free are still performing incredibly well. In fact, we continue to be the number one brand in the UK, and second in the overall gluten free sector - which includes both brands and private label - after the Tesco private label range.
"Category consumers do still seem to turn to heritage brands when making purchasing decisions and relatively new entries into the market, such as the M&S free from range, have helped grow the market further still.
"There's tremendous potential for retailers to tap further into this market. This is definitely going to be another exciting year for the gluten free sector, and with one in 100 people in the UK now thought to have coeliac disease, and many others deciding to follow a gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons, there's real potential for continued and significant sector growth.
For more information on DS-gluten free, please visit www.dietaryspecials.co.uk
Notes to editors:
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Its Dietary Specials brand (DS-gluten free) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal DS-gluten free customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- DS-gluten free products cater for those with Coeliac Disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr. Schär group which has been established for over 25 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr. Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and Trufree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland