Spec-Tacular Design Competition For Gainsborough Kids
Thursday, 26 November 2009
A local opticians is holding a children's Christmas card design competition in the run up to the festive period.
Specsavers Opticians in Gainsborough is seeking out young talent by inviting local children aged 4-15 to design their perfect Christmas card.
There will be a winner in each of the three age categories, 4-7yrs, 8-11yrs and 12-15yrs, each walking away with Christmas toys and gifts. Entries will be displayed in store to show off Gainsborough's finest artwork to proud parents and friends and to get customers and staff in the mood for Christmas.
Jacqui Nicol, store director at the Gainsborough store says: 'We know we have a lot of budding artists in Gainsborough and we wanted to give children a real chance to shine. We're hoping that the competition will encourage kids to get creative as well as helping to uncover some hidden artistic talents.
'All entries will be displayed in-store so it's a great way to get customers and staff in the festive spirit. We are all looking forward to seeing what creative designs the children send in and predict that finding the winners will be a tough task!'
To enter, please come in store and post your entry into the store's Christmas card competition postbox before the closing date of 3pm 18th December. Winners will be chosen on 21st December. Please include your name, age, address and telephone number on your entry.
- Ends -
Specsavers notes to editors
- Specsavers was founded by Doug and Dame Mary Perkins in 1984 and is now the largest privately owned opticians in the world
- The couple still run the company, along with their three children. Their son John is joint managing director
- Specsavers has more than 1,425 stores throughout the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Spain, Australia and New Zealand.
- Annual turnover for the Specsavers Group is forecast to reach a record £1.4 billion in 2009/10
- Specsavers optical stores and hearing centres are owned and run by joint venture or franchise partners.
- Specsavers employs more than 26,000 staff
- Specsavers was voted Britain's most trusted brand of opticians for the eighth year running by Reader's Digest in 2009
- Greater than one in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers * - nine and a half million glasses were exported from the warehouse to stores in 2008
- Specsavers share by volume of the total optical market (including retailers that are not opticians) is 35%. Our share of the opticians market is 38%.*
- Specsavers is the largest retail provider of home delivery contact lenses in Europe and one of the top two retail suppliers of continuous wear lenses in the world
- Specsavers is now the largest retail dispenser of digital hearing aids in the UK and offer a hearing service from more than 400 locations.
- Specsavers supports numerous optical and hearing charities, including Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs for the Deaf People. During their three year support for.Diabetes UK they raised more than £250,000 to fund research into diabetic retinopathy
- Since 2003 more than a quarter of a million glasses have been collected and recycled by Specsavers stores for Vision Aid Overseas for use in developing countries
*GfK Home Audit (Dec 2008)