Applications Wanted For 800 Once-In-A-Lifetime Jobs
Wednesday, 18 September 2013
The search is on to find the remaining 800 people to help power the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Jobseekers are being offered the chance to join the Glasgow 2014’s Commonwealth Games team, with applications being invited from today (September 18) for full-time positions within the Organising Committee.
Glasgow-headquartered Search Consultancy, the official recruitment agency for Glasgow 2014, is offering candidates the chance to be part of the country’s largest multi-sport event and play a key role in making the Games happen.
There are a wide variety of jobs on offer across the business and hundreds of roles that will suit people with a range of different levels of experience.
Search has been tasked with finding the right people for the final wave of jobs as part of its overall drive to fill the total of 1,400 employment opportunities in over 450 different roles that have been created since planning for the Games began.
The 1,400 posts are in addition to the 30,000 contractor vacancies and 15,000 volunteer positions already being sourced, putting Glasgow 2014 at the heart of the largest peacetime recruitment drive Scotland has even seen.
Simone Lockhart, Search Consultancy’s Managing Director for Scotland, said: “This is an exciting opportunity providing a unique chance for people to learn new skills through a range of employment opportunities, and make history at the same time.
“We are looking for people with the skills, passion, drive and enthusiasm to deliver an outstanding event. The workforce will be the essential driving force behind the Games so the calibre and capability of the recruits will be instrumental in the success of Glasgow 2014.
“We look forward to welcoming applications.”
David Grevemberg, Chief Executive of Glasgow 2014, said: “The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games provides a unique opportunity for individuals to be part of an exciting once-in-a-lifetime event. Our recruitment drive is searching for people with the skills, passion, drive and enthusiasm to help us deliver an outstanding Games in 2014.
“If you combine the manpower requirements of the Organising Committee, contractor workforce and our volunteer programme, Glasgow 2014 represents Scotland’s largest peace-time recruitment campaign and we are encouraging everyone who wants to help us make history to apply to join our team.”
Almost 500 people have already been recruited across a range of roles in areas such as sport, venue operations, transport, communications, finance, catering, cleaning and waste.
The latest wave of job vacancies will be equally wide and varied with recruiters looking for all experience levels.
Jobseekers could find themselves working in one of a number of key departments which are crucial to the delivery of next year’s Games – such as Accreditation, Brand Protection, Medical, Results Technology, Spectator Services, Sport Operation or Village Operations.
Jobs on offer will include Customer Services, Village Co-ordinators, Safety Officers and I.T. roles.
Jobseekers can find out more about how they can help power Glasgow 2014 by logging on to www.glasgow2014.com/jobs
Notes to editors:
- Search is one of the UK’s largest total recruitment solutions companies with 13 offices across the UK.
- Search was inspired to become the Official Recruitment Consultancy to Glasgow 2014. As recruitment specialists Search is keen to support and inspire athletes to benefit from exploring future career paths.
- With over 20 years’ experience in UK recruitment Search works across all industry sectors and is well equipped to support a diverse range of skills and career interests to place the right athletes with the right roles.
- Search Consultancy is tasked with filling 1400 jobs for the Glasgow 2014 Organising Committee prior to the start of the Games.
- Search will recruit staff for 453 different job roles to ensure the Organising Committee has the required skills base to deliver an outstanding Games.
- Workforce numbers: 58 recruits started in 2011, 209 started in 2012, 366 will take up posts in 2013 and 814 will take up posts in 2014.
- The Commonwealth Games is an international, multi-sport event involving 71 teams of athletes from the Commonwealth of Nations. The event was first held in 1930 and takes place every four years. Glasgow 2014 will be the 20th Commonwealth Games and will be held from 23 July to 3 August. It will feature 17 sports in 11 days of competition with 261 medal events on show. The Games will play host to 4500 athletes and sell 1,000,000 tickets with the event aided by an army of up to 15,000 local volunteers. Glasgow 2014 Ltd is the official name for the Organising Committee tasked with delivering the Games in partnership with the Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council and Commonwealth Games Scotland.