Barrow Marks Spencer Help Boost Local Hospice Funds
Thursday, 21 January 2010
Employees at the Marks & Spencer Barrow in Furness store are celebrating after raising £3,800 for St Mary's Hospice.
St Mary's Hospice provides comprehensive supportive and palliative care to people from South Cumbria suffering from serious progressive illnesses and also offers a range of family support services to carers and the bereaved. Over the last six months customers have been donating generously to the cause, whilst M&S employees' fundraising activities have ranged from raffles to a sponsored cycle from Workington to Newcastle that alone generated £1,000.
Andrew McKellar, manager of the M&S Barrow store said, "We're keen to show our support for St Mary's Hospice where the dedicated staff provide an invaluable service for our community. We had great fun coming up with ways to raise money and we were particularly touched by the many large donations from our customers."
Zoe Guest, funding and operations manager of St Mary's Hospice commented, "We are delighted by the generosity of the M&S Barrow in Furness store and their customers. All the money raised by M&S will go directly towards supporting St Mary's so that we can keep on providing care and support for patients and families. Maintaining our current services costs around £2.2 million a year, of which the hospice has to raise £1.8 million.
"We rely heavily on the support, goodwill and generosity of the public and organisations like M&S to maintain our services."
Notes to editors:
About St Mary's Hospice
St Mary's philosophy is to provide care, delivered through a range of specialist services, to meet the needs of individuals and enhance their quality of life. Central to its care policy is patient choice.
At St Mary's the aim is:
- to provide holistic, person centred palliative and supportive care for adults who have an advanced life limiting illness
- to help people to live with their illness, at whatever stage, by addressing their needs at that time, to improve quality of life
- to provide an environment where family and carers are supported, helping them to cope during and after their loved ones' illness
- to continue to develop services according to local need and St Mary's philosophy
- to promote continuing education for St Mary's staff and others involved in end of life care
- to provide a happy, supportive and empowering work environment for all staff and volunteers
For further information on St Mary's Hospice, please contact:
Zoe Guest, T: 01229 580305
To donate to St Mary's hospice visit the website: http://www.stmaryshospice.org/donate/makeadonation.php