CALA HOMES SUBMITS PLANS FOR NEW COMMUNITY IN BRIDGE OF DON
Tuesday, 29 November 2016
CALA Homes has submitted a planning application to Aberdeen City Council to create the first phase of a new community in the highly sought-after Bridge of Don area of Aberdeen.
The plans for the first phase of Grandhome include the creation of 70 luxury semi-detached and terraced homes as well as apartments creating a community of all ages.
The submission follows the success of CALA’s adjacent development, Balgownie Gate, which comprised 26 three, four and five-bedroom homes from CALA Homes’ Signature Collection and current development, The Links at Dubford, a collection of 65 four and five-bedroom luxury detached homes – which is now in its final phase.
Mike Naysmith, Managing Director of CALA Homes (North), said: “Grandhome is a hugely exciting community which will be one of the first of its kind in the north-east to be adopted by the Scottish Government’s Scottish Sustainable Communities Initiative.
“The design – which was made an exemplar for the scheme in the midst of the early planning phase in 2009 – is such that it is neighbourhood-based, allowing locals to walk to nearby amenities while pedestrians and cyclists can move more freely.
“Bridge of Don has proved to be a hugely popular location for our customers. Balgownie Gate sold very well and our Links at Dubford development only has a few homes still available for 2016, we felt that this was the right time to build on the current appetite in the area.
“If approved, we will continue to offer a fantastic range of property size and style, all featuring CALA’s exacting specifications and generous living space.”
Bruce Smith, trustee and spokesman for the Grandhome Trust: “We’re very excited for Grandhome as we take another major step forward with CALA's planning application for the first phase of houses. This is another exciting moment for us as we move from more than a decade of planning towards the delivery of the very first homes.
“We are very pleased to be working with CALA as one of our housebuilding partners; they have embraced our enthusiasm for delivering an exemplary new community above and beyond the norm, and, if approved, we look forward to them moving on site and turning the plans into some of the community’s first homes."
Future phases of the overall Grandhome development could include community facilities including a school, parks and green space for recreational uses. It is also anticipated that it could include retail and office space and community buildings as well as amenities including cafes and restaurants.
Notes to Editor – CALA Homes
CALA Homes, part of the CALA Group, is the UK’s most upmarket major home builder operating in the South of England, the Midlands and Scotland. The company is a Top 10 UK home builder focused on building well-designed, high quality homes in prime locations.
- In its full year results for the year ending 30th June 2016, CALA announced record profits of £60.1m (2015: £50.9m).
- CALA’s average selling price (ASP), as at 30th June 2016, was £538,000 (2015: £509,000) – the highest ASP outside London of any major UK housebuilder, thanks to the Group’s market positioning and geographic presence in more affluent areas of the UK.
- As at 30th June 2016, CALA’s owned and contracted landbank stood at 15,399 plots (2015: 14,236) with a potential gross development value approaching £5.5bn, up 16% versus 2015 (£5.2bn).
- In 2016, CALA won ‘Large Housebuilder of The Year’ at the Scottish Home Awards for the second consecutive year, and was crowned ‘Large Business of the Year’ at the prestigious Scottish Business Awards
- CALA Homes has received the maximum 5 Star rating in the Home Builders Federation’s National New Homes Customer Satisfaction Survey for seven consecutive years.
- In March 2013, the CALA Group was acquired by Patron Capital Partners, the private equity group, and Legal & General Group, the insurance, savings and investment management company.
- At the end of March 2014, CALA acquired Banner Homes, a leading developer and retailer of luxury new homes in the affluent markets of the Midlands and the South East of England. The acquisition expanded the company’s geographical footprint and volume scale to make it a Top 10 UK home builder.
- CALA started as the City of Aberdeen Land Association in 1875 and was the first Scottish company listed on the London Stock Market. As CALA is an acronym it is always reproduced in upper case.
For further information visit www.cala.co.uk
Grandhome is a planned new community for Aberdeen which will set new standards in the region for place making. The community is being planned and developed by The Grandhome Trust, a family-led entity that has held the land for more than 300 years and which is driven to deliver an exemplary community in terms of its built environment, sense of place, civic amenities and quality of life. Grandhome will be built according to a masterplan which has been designed over the past decade by an internationally recognised team of architects in consultation with the local community. The masterplan is complemented by a design code that will ensure the community meets consistent and high standards throughout. Grandhome is an exemplar project for the Scottish Sustainable Communities Initiative and has the long-term potential to deliver 7,000 homes, bringing significant economic activity with more than £1 billion of investment in homes and infrastructure.