ESH BORDER CONSTRUCTION ALMOST DOUBLES LEADING EMPLOYMENT INITIATIVE IN SCOTTISH SCHOOLS
Friday, 14 October 2016
Esh Border Construction is delighted to launch the second round of the award-winning Building My Skills employability programme in Scotland.
The initiative, which brings together school pupils and prospective employers, launched with seven business partners in six schools last year.
This academic year Esh Border Construction has expanded the programme to encompass 12 businesses and 11 schools across the country.
Building my Skills will now deliver 8,670 hours of education to over 1,600 pupils.
The primary aim of the programme is to equip young people leaving school with the employability skills they need to develop successful careers, getting first-hand advice from employers.
Esh Border Construction is delighted to partner with: Beattie, the Creative Communications Group, Peace Recruitment, Brodies Solicitors, Peter Brett Associates, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Tesco, Rabbies tour operators, Ryder Architecture, Thomson Gray, Capita, Northumberland Theatre Company and Travis Perkins.
Simon Phillips, Regional Managing Director Esh Border Construction, said:
“Introducing our added value programmes as early as possible in our growth in Scotland was a key component of the business strategy.
“We did that with the commencement of the Building My Skills initiative last year. We had great support from the schools and businesses involved and are consequently delighted to announce that the scheme will almost double in size for year two.
“The primary aim of Building My Skills is to help prepare and motivate school pupils for the next steps in their lives and for the job market.
“The initiative would not work without the buy-in of our business partners and we would like to thank them for their continued support.”
Darush Dodds, Head of Corporate Responsibility at Esh, said:
“It was a fantastic experience rolling out the Building My Skills initiative in Scotland last year and it is brilliant that we have been able to double the student cohort for this academic year.
“The collaborative effort of our much valued business partners and the schools in bringing the initiative together cannot be underestimated.
“The programme covers many topics and areas which supplement academic work, increasing the scope of a young person’s learning journey.”
Delivered across the academic year, students receive five one hour sessions from business people across a range of sectors.
The Scottish schools taking part are:
- St Augustine’s High School, Edinburgh
- Forresters High School, Edinburgh
- Preston Lodge High School, East Lothian
- Broxburn Academy, West Lothian
- Maxwelltown High School, Dumfries and Galloway
- Galashiels Academy, Scottish Borders
- Holyrood Secondary, Glasgow
- Graeme High School, Falkirk
- St Modan’s High School, Stirling
- Glenrothes High School, Glenrothes
- Woodmill High School, Dunfermline
Esh Group was awarded the Business in the Community Responsible Business Award 2015 in the Schools Partnership category for Building My Skills.
The Building My Skills initiative supports wider agendas of developing Scotland’s workforce by continuing to combat youth unemployment and boost long-term plans to address industry skills shortages.
Companies wishing to take part in Building My Skills can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Notes to Editors
- Esh Construction delivers an extensive range of services including Property and Facilities Management, Civil Engineering, and Property Refurbishment and Build for the affordable housing sector and wider public and private sectors.
- In the year to the end of December 2015, Esh Group delivered a turnover of £275m and profit before tax of £8.6m.
- Esh Group provides construction and construction-related services to both public and clients. It directly employs over 1,200 people with substantial operations in an area from Central Scotland to Northern England from local offices in Central Scotland, Scottish Borders, Northumberland, Cumbria, County Durham and Yorkshire. Services delivered include brownfield remediation, civil engineering, design and build, refurbishment, fencing, landscaping, plumbing, facilities services, social housing, private housing and commercial development.
- ESH Construction consists of:
Esh Border Construction - construction services in Scotland, Cumbria, North West England
Esh Property Services - social housing new build and regeneration
Esh Facilities - comprehensive buildings maintenance services
Lumsden & Carroll Civil Engineering - ground works and civil engineering
Esh Build - commercial new build
DEVELOPMENT BUSINESSES: Esh Developments, Dunelm Homes, Esh Acorn Homes
Bartram Walker - mechanical + plumbing installation + maintenance
Remedios - innovative diagnosis brownfield remediation services
Deerness Fencing + Landscaping - landscaping, fencing manufacture + installation
Green Energies - energy saving, heat + power
Esh Training Solutions - employment + construction related skills training
Mechplant - operated + non-operated plant hire
Stephen Easten Specialist Building - historic buildings restoration
ESH CHARITABLE TRUST - support for communities, education and young people funded through Esh Group resources
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Esh Border Construction