Esh Border Construction unveils new Livingston base as it targets fresh growth opportunities
Monday, 14 November 2016
Esh Border Construction launched its new Livingston base this week – a key strategic lynchpin for the business as it looks to build on its success in Scotland.
The company, part of Esh Group, commenced its Livingston operation in March last year, and it has continued to enjoy a steady pipeline of development and work. The new larger premises in Fairways Business Park will allow Esh Border Construction space for growth and the facilities to grow their existing team.
Its commitment to the market has resulted in significant new Scottish contract wins, totalling some £10million.
- A £2million contract to extend three educational facilities for West Lothian Council – Peel, Carmondean and Broxden primary schools
- The construction of Midlothian Council’s new £1.9million Eastfield Farm Care Facility
- A £1.6million contract with NHS Borders to build their new Roxburgh Health Centre
- Scottish Borders Council Wilton Lodge New Café project worth £900,000
- A £645,000 contract with City of Edinburgh Council to renovate East Craigs Primary School’s gym and assembly hall
The company, which employs more than 100 people in Scotland, has also been appointed to Glasgow City Council’s framework for public sector construction works – with project values between £5million and £15million – the first of which is a project to repair parapets on the Balmuildy Bridge in the north of the city, successes also include the appointment to the Edinburgh City Commercial Build framework or contracts up to £5million as well as a number of Development Framework for social housing providers – including Link Group, Places for People, Kingdom Housing Association, Hillcrest Housing Association amongst others.
Since Esh’s Scottish base of operations was established, 15 jobs have been created, with the appointment of several key roles. The investment in the existing team continues with the sponsorship of four colleagues through further education along with structured, ongoing training and development for the whole team.
Recent additions to the team, which have served to underline Esh’s growth ambitions include:
- Euan McDermott who joined as Business Development Manager in May with a remit to support continued growth throughout the central belt. Euan will engage with current and prospective clients and build strengthened relationships increasing Esh’s project pipeline and raising the business profile. Another key aspect of Euan’s work will be to build on the range of CSR and added value programmes that Esh is already leading on
- Design Manager Roddy MacKenzie, who brings over 13 years’ experience of working with the construction industry from within an architectural practice, his unique skill-set will allow him to apply a specialist knowledge top all stages of the construction process.
- Gerard McMahon who joined as Commercial Manager will lead the commercial team and brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the business. Gerard will work with clients as well as sub-contractors and suppliers to continue the growth of the business.
Simon Phillips, Regional Managing Director for Scotland, said:
“We established our Scottish roots with the opening of the larger Livingston office last year, and to date it has proved to be a fantastic springboard for growth, serving to reinforce our business ambitions.
“Fundamentally, the growth of the past year has been down to the endeavour of the Livingston team, which has worked hard to foster enduring relationships that continue to serve us well.
“We are delighted to have now secured our new premises, allowing us to push on with plans for further growth across the central belt.
“, the team has enjoyed a fantastic first year with a great pipeline of work including new build developments, sympathetic regeneration work, and high quality social housing.
“We are hugely excited about the future for the new office as we look towards fresh challenges and will continue to build on existing expertise with some impressive senior appointments, while at the same time supporting the development and further education of our existing staff.”
The establishment of the Livingston office also witnessed the roll-out of the hugely successful and innovative Esh Border Construction Added Value programmes – including the award-winning Building My Skills, which has recently been nominated in the Johnson and Johnson CSR Award at the Scottish Business Awards.
So far, eleven schools from across the central belt and the borders have signed up, with plans to further grow the initiative for 2016/17.
The company also awarded grants to seven worthy recipients across Scotland, totalling £6,529, via the Esh Group Communities Scheme.
Since its inception, the scheme has supported 93 organisations with more than £90,000 across Scotland, Northern England, Yorkshire and Humberside.
Notes to Editors
- Esh Construction delivers an extensive range of services including Property and Facilities Management, Civil Engineering, and Property Refurbishment and Build for the affordable housing sector and wider public and private sectors.
- In the year to the end of December 2015, Esh Group delivered a turnover of £275m and profit before tax of £8.6m.
- Esh Group provides construction and construction-related services to both public and clients. It directly employs over 1,200 people with substantial operations in an area from Central Scotland to Northern England from local offices in Central Scotland, Scottish Borders, Northumberland, Cumbria, County Durham and Yorkshire. Services delivered include brownfield remediation, civil engineering, design and build, refurbishment, fencing, landscaping, plumbing, facilities services, social housing, private housing and commercial development.
- ESH Construction consists of:
Esh Border Construction construction services in Scotland, Cumbria, North West England
Esh Property Services social housing new build and regeneration
Esh Facilities comprehensive buildings maintenance services
Lumsden & Carroll Civil Engineering ground works and civil engineering
Esh Build commercial new build
DEVELOPMENT BUSINESSES: Esh Developments, Dunelm Homes, Esh Acorn Homes
Bartram Walker mechanical + plumbing installation + maintenance
Remedios innovative diagnosis brownfield remediation services
Deerness Fencing + Landscaping landscaping, fencing manufacture + installation
Green Energies energy saving, heat + power
Esh Training Solutions employment + construction related skills training
Mechplant operated + non-operated plant hire
Stephen Easten Specialist Building historic buildings restoration
ESH CHARITABLE TRUST support for communities, education and young people funded through Esh Group resources
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Esh Border Construction