Iknow-Uk Announces New Managing Director
Thursday, 17 March 2011
Tourism specialist, iknow-uk, has today announced that a new managing director has been appointed to drive the business forward.
The announcement comes alongside news that the company has now achieved full coverage of Great Britain with its online accommodation and hospitality directories, following the launch of two new websites - iknow-eastmidlands.co.uk and iknow-westmidlands.co.uk.
iknow-uk's former sales director, Julian Ross, has stepped up to the role of managing director following the decision by the company's founder and former managing director, Marcus Simmons, to become the business' chairman.
Julian Ross said: "Marcus has done an amazing job since he launched the business in 2003, growing the company from a one-man initiative, into a successful, high profile travel brand.
"He'll definitely be a hard act to follow, but will still be heavily involved in the business in his role as chairman.
"I'm incredibly excited about leading iknow-uk forward. We have a great team here and it's a great time to be stepping up to the managing director role.
"Our regional websites now cover the whole of Great Britain, and we'll soon be launching iknow-northernireland too. We'll be focusing our efforts on delivering value for money for all of our customers, through steady visitor growth and improving the on-site experience. This will firmly position iknow-uk's sites as the number one place to visit for anyone booking a UK holiday or break away."
The new site launches bring the iknow-uk regional website total to twenty, providing a comprehensive guide for anyone looking to spend time uncovering the outstanding destinations Britain has to offer.
The company invested more than £55,000 into an overhaul of its regional sites at the start of the year and the sites as a whole are attracting 55 per cent more visitors than the same period last year.
The team is confident that the two latest iknow-uk websites will prove just as popular. Julian Ross added: "We've been working towards site launches in the Midlands for a while now, as we know that it's a region which offers so much variety to potential visitors.
"There's history and fantastic villages, cities and countryside, plus great activities and attractions for families, couples and older visitors alike.
"It's amazing that we've managed to grow iknow-uk to cover the whole of Great Britain - it's a far cry from when we first launched iknow-yorkshire in 2003. We've always known that there was a real need for a complete guide for holidaymakers looking to spend time in the UK, and the fact we've been able to grow at such an aggressive rate shows that we were right.
"All of the regional websites are performing really well, despite difficult economic times in this country, with our turnover more than doubling in the past two years to £2.2million. Perhaps that shows that people are now more open to rediscovering their own country, and visiting some of the amazing places that are right on their doorstep."
iknow-uk's websites are visited by more than a million users each month.
Accommodation or hospitality providers looking to list their business on one of iknow's websites should visit http://www.iknow-uk.com or call 0800 064 3333.
Notes to Editors
- iknow-uk specialises in helping people plan and book the perfect UK holiday, by researching and offering the best local information to inspire the thousands of.people that visit the sites each month
- Iknow-uk gives visitors a wide choice of ways to research and contact accommodation providers. They can book online or have the option to contact properties by phone, email or through their websites
- iknow-uk ltd launched iknow-yorkshire in September 2003. It has since launched an additional 19 sites, including iknow-scotland, iknow-lakedistrict, iknow-northwest, iknow-cornwall, iknow-devon, iknow-wales, iknow-dorset, iknow-kent, iknow-somerset, iknow-sussex, iknow-hampshire, iknow-northeast, iknow-peakdistrict, iknow-london, iknow-homecounties, iknow-westmidlands, iknow-eastmidlands and iknow-cotswolds. iknow-northernireland is soon to follow
- April 2009 saw the launch of a comprehensive hospitality section to iknow-yorkshire. Hospitality is now also available on all the iknow-uk regional sites
- For further enquiries on listing on iknow-uk's websites, please contact Rachael at iknow-uk on 01772 521178