Knife Fork Test Tube
Monday, 07 June 2010
Eating dinner will never be the same again for a group of food-loving individuals, following a special training session designed to teach them how to interpret the different qualities of their food.
Market leading gluten and wheat free food supplier, Nutrition Point, invited people from across the UK to help shape current and future product ranges by joining their Consumer Taste Panel Club - and some lucky recruits were invited to a special training session at company headquarters to help them become top testers.
Emma Herring, Product Development Manager at Nutrition Point, explained: "Our Consumer Taste Panel Club will be responsible for letting us know what they think of new and existing products and ranges and this training will ensure they are fully equipped with the knowledge and expertise they need to be able to provide us with this invaluable feedback.
"The session was both scientific and fun, with panel members decked out in white laboratory coats, and the aim was to demonstrate the best ways to interpret the characteristics of a product by using the five senses of sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing.
"We've had an amazing response from consumers interested in joining our National Taste Panel Club, with more than 650 applications in total, and we're excited about working with them to develop and add new products to our dietary specials (ds) and TRUfree ranges."
Consumers who have signed up to the panel will be sent samples of both current and future products to taste and assess via an online questionnaire, and feedback will help influence the choice and range of products available in supermarkets.
The brands dietary specials (ds) and TRUfree, which are owned by Nutrition Point, are available in all major retailers across the UK.
Emma Herring added: "Our trained testers will be invited to trial our new frozen and chilled gluten and wheat free food ranges in the hope that we can continue to develop these important and market leading product offerings further..
"2010 is an exciting year for us in terms of new product development and we are really pleased to be able to work so closely with consumers to develop the best quality food ranges possible."
Notes to editors:
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Their Dietary Specials brand (ds) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal ds customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- ds products cater for those with Coeliac Disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr Schär group which has been established for over 25 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and Trufree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland