Local Food Business Shortlisted For National Awards (1)
Monday, 21 February 2011
A local business is celebrating after being shortlisted for five national awards.
Warrington-based Nutrition Point, a leading supplier of gluten free foods, has had five products shortlisted in the FreeFrom Food Awards, which are run by Foods Matter.
Now in their fourth year, the FreeFrom Food Awards celebrate the innovation and imagination shown by the food industry in creating foods that do not include gluten, wheat or dairy - with many shortlisted products also being free from eggs, nuts, and other major allergens.
Winners will be announced by TV chef Antony Worrall Thompson at a special ceremony in London on 6 April.
Bob Trice, Managing Director of Nutrition Point, said: "We're really pleased that our products have been recognised in this way, and are looking forward to hearing the results.
"We pride ourselves on being innovative market leaders, and are constantly looking for new and tasty ways to engage with our customers. We always work to supply the best quality product possible and we hope we do receive further recognition through these awards.
"The Free From food sector has seen phenomenal growth in the past few years, and according to Coeliac UK, coeliac disease affects 1 in a 100 people in the UK. Cutting out gluten containing foods is the only way to control the condition, which means there are millions of consumers looking for high quality products that they can enjoy.
"Add to this the rising number of people who have a food intolerance or allergy, and those who choose to avoid these foods as part of a lifestyle choice, and it's easy to see why the sector is growing at such a rate."
Nutrition Point has been shortlisted for the following FreeFrom Food Awards:
- The Gluten Free Bread and Bread Mixes Award for DS-gluten free Brown Ciabatta Rolls and the Glutafin Select gluten free Fresh Brown Bread
- The Gluten Free Savoury Pies, Flans, Sausages and Ready Meals Award for DS-gluten free Cornish Slices
- Free From Ingredients Award for DS-gluten free Frozen Shortcrust Pastry
- Gluten Free Cakes and Mixes Award for Glutafin Select gluten free Multi Purpose White Mix
For further information please contact Claire Briscoe or Lauren Wood at Beattie Communications:
Notes to editors:
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Its Dietary Specials brand (DS-gluten free) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal DS-gluten free customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- DS-gluten free products cater for those with coeliac disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr Schär group which has been established for over 30 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and TRUfree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland