Savvy Travellers Turn To The Net But Turn Their Backs On Friends And Family
Monday, 02 July 2012
A SURVEY from the world's biggest travel guide website Toowist has revealed that a staggering 80 per cent of travellers are ditching the opinion of their family and friends in favour of 'real life' online reviews.
Toowist's survey found that, despite still trusting the opinion of their nearest and dearest, travellers no longer see their family and friends as the first port of call when looking for travel advice and reviews.
Consumers questioned admitted that the first thing they would do when researching new holiday destinations is turn to the Internet with its up-to-date guides and real life reviews on travel websites and blogs.
The survey, commissioned to launch Toowist - a travel guide site with almost 30,000 reviews written by travellers for travellers - also revealed that an astonishing 93 per cent of travellers believe they will not be ripped off if they research their options online first.
It found that holiday-makers are more economically savvy than ever and believe they can get more bang for their buck by surfing the web before riding the wave.
The survey uncovered:
- More than 80 per cent of all consumers questioned said they would rather consult up-to-date reviews on the web than ask their nearest and dearest.
- Only 3 per cent questioned said they would prefer to reference a guidebook or brochure for information.
- More than 90 per cent believe they get a better deal on their holidays if they arm themselves with information found online before booking anything.
- Use of smartphones and tablets to access travel information is on the rise with almost 75 per cent questioned saying they have used these devices to research holidays and travel information.
- Travel topped the charts of the most popular thing to research online with music and electrical goods taking second and third place.
Holiday-makers were also asked what they would not be without on holiday, with Kindles, sunscreen and bottle openers topping the charts. Some sappy travellers even admitted the one thing they couldn't be without on holiday was their partner!
Toowist founder Stephen Whitelaw said: "We are currently seeing a change in consumer focus, not just across the tourism sector, but the entire spectrum, which indicates that the Internet is more trusted than ever before.
"In the past people would have relied on the views of family and friends, but today we have so much information at our finger tips and it is easier and often more impartial to seek the advice of independent reviews online.
"Tourists are much savvier than they were five to ten years ago - online research allows holiday makers to instantly find the most up-to-date information and cuts out the need to speak to individuals or consult or carry around heavy printed guidebooks."
Toowist has the world's most extensive library of independent travel guides. For more information visit: http://www.toowist.com/
NOTES TO EDITOR:
Toowist was founded in 2012 by Stephen Whitelaw. Having collected almost 30,000 trusted reviews from travellers, holiday-makers, bloggers and journalists already, Toowist has quickly established itself as the world's most extensive library of useful travel guides.