Snow Joke - Winter Wonderland Kendal Calling
Tuesday, 04 August 2009
Seasoned festival goers are used to coping with all weathers but attendees at Kendal Calling were amazed to see snow appear at this year's sell-out festival.
Yorkshire based snow slope SNO!zone helped to make the Cumbrian festival the UK's coolest summer festival with the delivery of more than 80 tonnes of real snow.
In a UK first, the indoor snow slope, based in Castleford, near Leeds, brought snow over the Pennines on a fleet of lorries to create the SNO!zone 'Off Piste' area.
The Alpine-themed chill out zone provided the ideal place for festival goers to cool down between watching bands including The Streets, The Zutons and Ash and included a 30m real snow slide, snow beach and snowboard simulator as well as DJ's playing a variety of hip-hop, reggae and summer tunes.
Lisa Allan, SNO!zone's head of marketing and brand, said: "Kendal Calling is already one of the UK's coolest music festivals, but this year we made a special delivery to ensure that festival goers were more chilled out than ever before.
"At SNO!zone we like to show that the warmer weather is no barrier to snow sports and to prove it we lined up some fantastic snow related activities that everyone seemed to enjoy.
"We were really impressed with both the line up and the location for this year's Kendal Calling and our Off Piste area was the ideal way to chill out between bands."
- SNO!zone operates three real snow slopes in the UK based in Braehead, Glasgow, Castleford, Leeds and Milton Keynes
- SNO!zone Milton Keynes opened in 2001 with Castleford following in 2003 and Scotland opening in 2006
- Each 170m long main slope is covered with more than 1700 tonnes of fresh snow
- As well as the main slope, a dedicated lesson slope at each centre allows visitors to learn the basics of skiing and snowboarding with qualified instructors
- Activities on offer at every centre include skiing, snowboarding, sledging and ice sliding
- When not on the slope, visitors can enjoy some après ski at the Alpine themed SNO!bars