Spectacle Wearer Year 2008 Announced
Wednesday, 22 October 2008
GLAMOROUS singer and former All Saints singer, Melanie Blatt, was last night crowned the Celebrity Spectacle Wearer of the Year 2008.
Melanie attended the awards evening and catwalk fashion show in aid of anti-bullying Kidscape, held at London's Waldorf Hilton hotel. Hosts Ben Shephard and Jenni Falconer were joined on stage by Specsavers style ambassador Gok Wan, who also presented King of the jungle, Christopher Biggins with a Service to Specs award and award winning Comedienne Jenny Éclair with the Iconic Specs Wearer title.
Specsavers founder Dame Mary Perkins says: 'Melanie looks fantastic in her glasses, stylish and sophisticated and a perfect role model for young specs wearing females.
'Christopher Biggins and Jenny Éclair have always been high profile specs wearers so it's fantastic to be able to recognise them in this way.'
Winner of the catwalk fashion show was Sofie Jama, 26, from Denmark. Sofie beat off tough competition from 14 other finalists from all over the UK and Europe to be crowned Specsavers Spectacle Wearer of the Year 2008.
Sofie has won a 12 month modelling contract with MOT models, a two weeks all-inclusive holiday to the Almond Resorts in Barbados or St Lucia travelling with Virgin Holidays and a bag of goodies from L'Oreal Matrix and Benefit.
Runners-up included Emma Garthwaite, aged 18 from Sandbach in Cheshire and Nicola Bennett, aged 22 from Limerick in the Republic of Ireland.
Among the other celebrities to join Melanie Blatt, Christopher Biggins and Jenny Éclair on the red carpet at the final were, Olympic swimmer and Strictly Come Dancing's Mark Foster, wife of rocker Rod Stewart Penny Lancaster Stewart, Nancy Sorrell, Cleo Rocca, Simon Webbe, The Apprentice runner-up Alex Wotherspoon, designers Kiri and David Emmanuel and Gloria Hunniford.
An auction in aid of anti-bullying charity Kidscape, led by Gok Wan, saw money can't buy prizes raise a total of £28,200. Prizes included afternoon tea at The Lanesborough with rock legend Rod Stewart and his wife Penny Lancaster-Stewart, an exclusive fashion makeover with C4's celebrity stylist Gok Wan, dinner with Christopher Biggins at The Ivy's private members club and a made-to-measure men's suit by top British designer, Jasper Conran.
View highlights of the event at
For photography please contact:
Adrian Brooks 0776 8696 197
Specsavers notes to editors
- Specsavers was founded by Doug and Dame Mary Perkins in 1984 and is now the largest privately owned opticians in the world
- The couple still run the company, along with their three children. Their eldest son John is joint managing director
- Specsavers has more than 1060 stores throughout the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Spain and Australia
- Annual turnover for the Specsavers Group is forecast to reach a record £1.05 billion for the financial year 2008/9
- The group plans to continue its successful international expansion by opening stores in New Zealand
- Specsavers optical stores and hearing centres are owned and run by joint venture or franchise partners.
- Specsavers employs more than 17,000 staff
- Specsavers was voted Britain's most trusted brand of opticians for the seventh year running by Reader's Digest in 2008
- One in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers Opticians - eight and a half million glasses were sold during 2007
- Specsavers is the largest retail provider of home delivery contact lenses in Europe and one of the top two retail suppliers of continuous wear lenses in the world
- Specsavers is now the largest retail dispenser of digital hearing aids in the UK and will offer a hearing service from more than 400 locations by the end of 2008
- Specsavers supports numerous optical and hearing charities, including Diabetes UK, for whom they have raised more than £250,000 to fund research into diabetic retinopathy
- Since 2003 a quarter of a million glasses have been collected and recycled by Specsavers stores for Vision Aid Overseas for use in developing countries
*GfK Home Audit (Dec 2007)