Bosom Buds Make West Lothian Ladies Centre Attention
Thursday, 21 October 2010
Eight West Lothian ladies with secondary breast cancer were given a day to remember thanks to a phenomenal fundraising campaign by Bosom Buds of Scotland.
Bosom Buds, supported by The Centre, Livingston and host of local businesses, treated the ladies from West Lothian, aged 39 to 68, to a no expense spared pamper day on Sunday (13th October) which included being picked up from their homes in a limo, a bucks fizz breakfast, a makeover, lunch at the luxurious Harburn House, relaxation therapy and a photoshoot with local photographer, Rhoddy Stewart to capture their memories of the day.
Each was also presented with a bouquet of flowers and goody bag to help them continue the pampering on their return home and, working with the photographer, Bosom Buds will create a special photo album for the ladies as a memento of the day.
The event, which was held as part of October's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, was designed to give the ladies, who regularly attend St John's Oncology Unit, a day away from chemotherapy regimes, hospital appointments and living with the pressures and challenges of secondary breast cancer.
Mags Fenwick, chairperson of Bosom Buds of Scotland, accompanied the ladies to make sure it was a day they would never forget.
She said: "We were thrilled to host the pamper day for a group of women that really deserve a bit of VIP treatment. We have already raised a fantastic amount via our partnership with The Centre, Livingston so it's great to see some of the money going to good use.
"All the ladies who attended had a ball and we hope to get their photo albums out to them very soon.
"The support we received from local businesses was invaluable and made a fantastic contribution to the success of the day. I would like to extend my thanks to; Hush Hair & Beauty, Louise who gave the ladies a makeup makeover, Turveys Edinburgh, Debenhams and Marks & Spencer Livingston. Harburn House also provided a lunch and photographer Rhoddy didn't charge for his time to help make a record of the day."
Bosom Buds of Scotland, a new Scottish charity, was registered in November 2009 and is run by Mags and Kate Fenwick and a committee of friends based around West Lothian. Kate (24) was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 and regularly attended St John's Oncology Unit in Livingston for her treatment.
Bosom Buds for Scotland was created in order to help people going through a similar experience and raise as much money as possible to make their time at St John's Hospital more comfortable. Bosom Buds will also look at helping people throughout West Lothian in lots of other ways as it grows in size and support.
The charity was selected by the majority of The Centre Livingston's - 155 retailers and a panel of judges from The Centre management team as their charity of the year.
For more information on the work of Bosom Buds of Scotland, log onto www.bosombudsofscotland.org
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of The Centre, Livingston.
Notes to editors:
- The Centre offers a dynamic and inviting environment where people can shop, eat, relax or meet - whatever the weather. Made up of various elements, it comprises five distinct areas:
- Elements Square - the dramatic new 375,000 sq ft extension houses top retailers including M&S, Debenhams, Next and River Island located within an indoor shopping area with an outdoor feel.
- The Wintergarden - located upstairs within Elements Square, the Wintergarden has comfortable seating and catering outlets in a leafy garden environment providing an ideal break from the busy shopping areas.
- The Avenue - this road running between The Centre and Livingston Designer Outlet is home to the town's five new restaurants - Nandos, Chiquito, Ask, Tony Roma's and Wagamama.
- Almondvale Walk - the most easterly section of The Centre runs from JJB and Aulds along to Asda Walmart featuring favourites including WH Smith, Bodycare and M&Co.
- Almondvale Place - the mall that stretches from Semichem along to Carphone Warehouse, with top names including Boots, Argos and Chisholm Hunter.
- Address: The Centre, Almondvale South, Livingston, EH54 6HR