Bridges Is Ball It Gears Up For Football Fever
Thursday, 03 June 2010
With the World Cup kicking off in just a week's time, the Bridges shopping centre in Sunderland is launching a dedicated 'man crèche' to keep all the family happy while football fever grips the nation.
From Friday 11th June, when the South African hosts play the first match against Mexico, savvy shoppers will be able to indulge in a spot of retail therapy while their football-mad other halves can be left in peace to watch the World Cup.
The 'man crèche', located on the Market Square mall opposite Boots, is a football lover's fantasy and will be screening all live World Cup games during trading hours. Complete with a big screen, comfy bean bags, Astroturf carpet, England flags, bunting, and squad posters every effort has been made to make fans feel at home.
Face painters will also be on hand to adorn children and adults alike with different team's colours to really get in the supporting spirit.
In a bid to find Sunderland's most talented football fan the Bridges will also be a hosting a 'keepy-up' challenge during the tournament in Central Square. The winner will score themselves a Bridges giftcard worth £50 to spend in any of the centre's shops. To be the first to find out when the challenge will be taking place, log on to www.bridges.tryiton.com.
Sarah King, marketing manager at the Bridges, says "We're really hoping to 'hit the back of the net' with our football fever antics. We want to join in with the excitement that the World Cup brings and help locals really make the most of celebrating England's bid to bring the cup home.
"The 'man creche' is the perfect solution to maintaining relationship bliss over the tournament as no partner will be relegated to being a football widow, nor will anyone score an own goal by suggesting their other halves miss out on a game.
"We're giving couples the best of both worlds as the girls can enjoy their spot of shopping safe in the knowledge that their other halves won't be missing a moment of any World Cup match."
Notes to Editors
- The Bridges is owned and operated by Land Securities. More information on Land Securities can be found on http://www.landsecurities.com/
- The Bridges provides 515,000 sq ft (47,845 sq m) of retail space in the heart of Sunderland
- Over 100 retailers including Debenhams, Tesco, Boots, Next, HMV, H&M, River Island, Monsoon and New Look
- It attracts more than20 million visitors each year, with a combined catchment of 663,000 people
- The Bridges has excellent public transport links and 940 parking spaces attached to the centre
Land Securities Group PLC
- Land Securities is the UK's leading Real Estate Investment Trust with a national portfolio of commercial property. Our investment portfolio also has more than 50 retail parks and shopping centres including Bristol's Cabot Circus and Exeter's quadruple award-winning Princesshay site.
- Land Securities' multi billion pound development programme is transforming regional city centres including Cardiff and Leeds, key Central London sites and delivering long-term, large-scale regeneration projects in the South East.
- Half of the Land Securities' portfolio is in London, where it owns landmark buildings such as the Piccadilly Lights and Westminster City Hall, and is developing some of the capital's most innovative mixed-use schemes, such as One New Change in Mid-town and Park House on Oxford Street.