Bridport Optician Wins Prestigious Accolade
Friday, 30 January 2009
Local optician, Chris Newall has had his optical excellence recognised by winning national acclaim from industry bible, Optician magazine.
The optician from Specsavers in Bridport saw off 240 entrants to win 'Best Case Study in 2008' from the UK's leading optical publication, Optician. Chris's winning entry comprised of groundbreaking photos taken throughout 2007 and 2008, showing the diagnosis and progression of five conditions. The case studies included a patient who had undergone radiation therapy and the progression of macular degeneration.
Prize winner Chris says: 'I'm so proud to have won this award for myself and the store, it's brilliant to get such a high level of recognition for my work. It was definitely a team effort as without the staff, I wouldn't have been able to see as many people and build up the library of images that eventually became my winning case study. I couldn't have won the competition without our specialised equipment, we're really lucky to have it here at Bridport.'
For an appointment or for more information please pop in to the store, located at 18 East Street, call 01308 455 960 or visit www.specsavers.co.uk.
- Ends -
Specsavers notes to editors
- Specsavers was founded by Doug and Dame Mary Perkins in 1984 and is now the largest privately owned opticians in the world
- The couple still run the company, along with their three children. Their eldest son John is joint managing director
- Specsavers has more than 1,180 stores throughout the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Spain, New Zealand and Australia
- Annual turnover for the Specsavers Group is forecast to reach a record £1.05 billion for the financial year 2008/9
- The group plans to continue its successful international expansion by opening stores in New Zealand
- Specsavers optical stores and hearing centres are owned and run by joint venture or franchise partners.
- Specsavers employs more than 26,000 staff
- Specsavers was voted Britain's most trusted brand of opticians for the seventh year running by Reader's Digest in 2008
- One in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers Opticians - eight and a half million glasses were sold during 2007
- Specsavers is the largest retail provider of home delivery contact lenses in Europe and one of the top two retail suppliers of continuous wear lenses in the world
- Specsavers is now the largest retail dispenser of digital hearing aids in the UK and will offer a hearing service from more than 400 locations by the end of 2008
- Specsavers supports numerous optical and hearing charities, including Diabetes UK, for whom they have raised more than £250,000 to fund research into diabetic retinopathy
- Since 2003 a quarter of a million glasses have been collected and recycled by Specsavers stores for Vision Aid Overseas for use in developing countries