CALA HOMES (NORTH) FUNDS COUNSELLING SESSIONS THROUGH COMMUNITY BURSARY DONATION
Wednesday, 06 April 2016
CALA Homes (North) has donated £960 to CLAN Cancer Support to fund 50 counselling appointments or complementary therapies offering support to anyone affected by cancer.
The organisation, which has 12 support and wellbeing centres across the North East, was awarded the sum as part of the housebuilder’s £10,000 community bursary scheme which was launched last year to mark 140 years since the company was established as the City of Aberdeen Land Association.
Aside from counselling sessions, CLAN offers relaxation, exercise and arts classes, salon services including skin, hair and wig care, post-surgery lingerie fitting, a dedicated children and families service and doctor led support amongst other services. CLAN also provides a range of complementary therapies which help to promote wellbeing including scar tissue massage, reflexology and reiki. These complementary therapies can help improve quality of life for people indirectly affected by cancer and for cancer patients by helping to reduce the side effects of radiology and chemotherapy treatments.
Samantha Brand, Sales Administrator at CALA Homes (North), visited CLAN House in Aberdeen to officially present the £960 cheque to the organisation and have a tour of its facilities.
She said: “I’d like to thank all the staff at CLAN House for welcoming me to the centre, giving me the opportunity to see the work they do and meet people that the organisation supports.
“I had the chance to see first-hand the positive impact the counselling appointments and complementary therapy sessions have had – they are such a vital support to many people in the area and I’m very proud CALA Homes has been able to make a contribution towards providing these services.”
CLAN is a charity providing free ongoing cancer support services to people with cancer in the North East with the aim to help improve their quality of life.
Zoë Barbour, Funding Development Officer at CLAN Cancer Support, said: “CLAN is one of the largest local independent cancer support charities in the North East, providing tailored emotional and practical support to anyone affected by cancer for over 30 years.
“We’d like to thank CALA Homes for their generous donation which will enable us to provide 50 counselling or complementary therapy sessions free of charge.”
The CALA Homes (North) community bursary will support 12 different charities and community groups across Aberdeen and the surrounding area this year by funding vital equipment and services. Beneficiaries include Grampian MS Therapy Centre, Grampian Deaf Children's Society, Stratosphere Science Centre, and SensationalALL.
Notes to Editor
About CALA Homes
CALA Homes, part of the CALA Group, is the UK’s most upmarket major home builder operating in the South of England, the Midlands and Scotland. The company focuses on high quality, well-designed homes in prime locations, from starter homes to luxury detached family properties.
At the end of March 2014, CALA acquired Banner Homes, a leading developer and retailer of luxury new homes in the affluent markets of the Midlands and the South East of England. The combined company will be a Top 10 UK home builder building predominantly family homes in premium locations in the South of England, the Midlands and Scotland.
- In March 2013, CALA announced that it had reached an agreement with Patron Capital Partners, the private equity group, and Legal & General Group, the insurance, savings and investment management company, under which they acquired the CALA Group, valuing the company at £214.2m.
- In its full year results for the year ending 30th June 2013, CALA announced record profits of £12.5m (2012: £9.1m) on a like-for-like basis driven by improved house sales gross margin of 18.8% (2012: 16.4%).
- CALA’s average selling price (ASP), as at 31 January 2014, was £361,000 – the highest ASP outside London of any housebuilder in the top 20 by volume, thanks to the Group’s market positioning and geographic presence in more affluent areas of the UK.
- As at 31st January 2014, CALA’s land bank stood at 10,770 plots with a potential gross development value of £3.6bn, equivalent to approximately 6.5 years’ output on current projections.
- CALA Homes won Housebuilder of the Year, Best Medium Housebuilder and Best House at the 2012 What House? Awards. In 2013, it retained the Gold award for Best Medium Housebuilder and won Best Development for Trinity Park in Edinburgh.
- In March 2014, CALA Homes received the maximum 5 Star rating in the Home Builder Federation’s National New Homes Customer Satisfaction Survey for the fifth consecutive year.
- Health and safety is of paramount importance to CALA. In 2013, the company maintained its low number of minor injuries reportable under RIDDOR recording six and has reported no major injuries in the last five years. Over the course of the last five years CALA has had the lowest average annual incidence rate of any housebuilder in the HBF benchmark of companies.
- CALA started as the City of Aberdeen Land Association in 1875 and was the first Scottish company listed on the London Stock Market. As CALA is an acronym it is always reproduced in upper case.