CALA’S COMMUNITY BURSARY IS MUSIC TO CHARITIES’ EARS
Wednesday, 26 October 2016
CALA Homes (North) has donated £550 to Alzheimer Scotland, providing equipment to help support the organisations reminiscence group in Aberdeen.
Providing help and support to those affected by dementia, the group supports friends, family, the general public and professionals who deal with patients on a daily basis. The donation was made as part of the housebuilder’s £10,000 community bursary scheme which was launched last year to mark 140 years since the company was established as the City of Aberdeen Land Association.
Offering a variety of support and interest groups including Home Support, Carer Support, and Football Memories, the funds donated will cover the cost of an an I-pod, docking station and CD’s for use in the Music Reminiscence group.
Located in the Aberdeen Dementia Resource Centre, Alzheimer Scotland is based in a dementia friendly building showcasing the environmental adaptations and telecare options available to enable people to live well with dementia.
Alan Whitelaw, Project Manager for CALA Homes, presented the cheque at the dedicated centre in Aberdeen city centre.
Alan said: “Alzheimer Scotland is fantastic service within the North which demonstrates the importance of recreational activities such as music in aiding stimulation of memories within dementia.
“The organisation has many inspirational stories of how locals have found the classes a real support and even discovered hidden talents they hadn’t realised they had.
“It was a pleasure to meet members of the charity and hear more about the great work they do in the area.”
Dementia Advisor at Alzheimer Scotland, Sarah Geoghegan said: “We’re so grateful for this opportunity from CALA Homes in supporting people affected by dementia in the area. It will make a real difference to people attending our groups, giving them the opportunity to access therapeutic activities which can 'stimulate memories and improve their wellbeing.
“Alzheimer Scotland provides services across Scotland to help people living with dementia, live as well as possible with condition. Whether it’s information and advice, personalised support services, or activities in the community, Alzheimer Scotland helps people across the country cope with their illness.”
The CALA Homes (North) community bursary will support 12 different charities and community groups across Aberdeen and the surrounding area this year by funding vital equipment and services. Beneficiaries include Grampian MS Therapy Centre, Grampian Deaf Children's Society, Aberdeen Science Centre, and SensationalALL.
Issued on behalf of CALA Homes (North) by Beattie Communications
Notes to Editor – CALA Homes
CALA Homes, part of the CALA Group, is the UK’s most upmarket major home builder operating in the South of England, the Midlands and Scotland. The company is a Top 10 UK home builder focused on building well-designed, high quality homes in prime locations.
- In its full year results for the year ending 30th June 2015, CALA announced record profits of £50.9m (2014: £26.8m) and an improved house sales gross margin of 23.4% (2014: 22.8%).
- CALA’s average selling price (ASP), as at 30th June 2015, was £509,000 (2014: £423,000) – the highest ASP outside London of any major UK housebuilder, thanks to the Group’s market positioning and geographic presence in more affluent areas of the UK.
- As at 30th June 2015, CALA’s owned and contracted landbank stood at 14,236 plots (2014: 12,690) with a potential gross development value approaching £5.2bn, up 11% versus 2014 (£4.7bn).
- In 2015, CALA Homes was named ‘Large Business of the Year’ at the Scottish Business Awards and won ‘Housebuilder of The Year’ at the Scottish Home Awards. It was also awarded bronze for the UK’s ‘Best Large Housebuilder’ at the What House? Awards.
- CALA Homes has received the maximum 5 Star rating in the Home Builders Federation’s National New Homes Customer Satisfaction Survey for six consecutive years.
- In March 2013, the CALA Group was acquired by Patron Capital Partners, the private equity group, and Legal & General Group, the insurance, savings and investment management company.
- At the end of March 2014, CALA acquired Banner Homes, a leading developer and retailer of luxury new homes in the affluent markets of the Midlands and the South East of England. The acquisition expanded the company’s geographical footprint and volume scale to make it a Top 10 UK home builder.
- CALA started as the City of Aberdeen Land Association in 1875 and was the first Scottish company listed on the London Stock Market. As CALA is an acronym it is always reproduced in upper case.
For further information visit www.cala.co.uk