Countdown To Opening Scotlands Newest Shopping Destination Elements Square
Monday, 06 October 2008
A new shopping destination will be unveiled in less than two weeks when Elements Square – the £130m extension to Almondvale Shopping Centre – opens its doors in Livingston, West Lothian on Thursday 16th October.
Together, Elements Square and Almondvale Shopping Centre will be known by the new name ‘The Centre’ providing a fresh, new, shopping environment and creating over 1,500 new jobs for the area.
The Centre, owned and managed by Land Securities, will significantly increase the shopping offer in West Lothian and form one of the biggest shopping centres in Scotland with a total retail space nearing 1million sq ft providing 155 shops, leisure space and an extensive catering offer.
In addition, the new retail destination will bring department store shopping to West Lothian for the first time with the arrival of anchor stores M&S and Debenhams, which will each span 90,000 sq ft.
Jennifer Bruce, marketing manager of The Centre, said: “The opening of the eagerly-anticipated Elements Square and the creation of The Centre will bring a fantastic new shopping destination to the town, one which our customers have been keen to see come to fruition.
“Land Securities has been developing in Livingston for over 30 years and we are delighted to be opening what will be a major shopping hub in the Central Belt of Scotland.
“I’m confident that our bright and spacious new shopping centre will be enjoyed not only by the people of Livingston and West Lothian, but will also attract shoppers from further afield.”
M&S, Debenhams, River Island, Swarovski and H&M as well as eateries ASK and Wagamama are amongst the names opening on launch day, with further outlets including Topshop, Topman, Burton, Dorothy Perkins, Ortak and restaurant Tony Roma's opening in the coming months.
Jennifer continues: “The Centre will also give our shoppers new extended trading hours, enabling more people to enjoy late-night shopping and the new eating establishments will provide a place to dine and enjoy a glass of wine later into the evening.”
Elements Square is a 375,000 sq ft extension and was built with the modern day shopper in mind.
The expansive mall features double height glass shop fronts, terracotta and zinc walls and granite flooring – materials traditionally used in outdoor developments – to help give the feeling of shopping on the high street indoors, enabling customers to meet, relax and eat, whatever the weather.
To further enhance the outdoor/indoor feel, the roof has been specially designed using ETFE (plastic ‘air-cushions’ as used in The Eden Project and the ‘water cube’, Beijing’s Olympic Swimming Centre) to ensure daylight floods into the mall. In the evening, lights are also embedded in the roof to give the impression of shopping under starlight.
The Wintergarden, located on the second floor and one of the catering areas at the new centre, will house 1,000 plants and trees including olive and fig varieties which are sure to provide a pleasant and relaxing environment for those looking to take a break from shopping.
Jennifer adds: “These are exciting times for West Lothian and we are looking forward to opening the doors on launch day and showcasing the superb selection of stores and eateries we have on offer.”
Elements Square will open at 9.00am on Thursday 16th October. There will be a number of event activities on launch day including music, dance performances, personal fashion stylists as well as family entertainment. There will also be celebratory entertainment from Thu 16th – Sun 19th Oct.
**There are still employment vacancies available in Elements Square – please log onto www.shoplivingston.co.uk for further information.**
Notes to editors:
- The Centre will offer a dynamic and inviting environment where people can shop, eat, relax or meet – whatever the weather. Made up of various elements, it will comprise five distinct areas:
- Elements Square – the dramatic new 375,000 sq ft extension will house top retailers in an indoor shopping area with an outdoor feel
- The Wintergarden – located upstairs within Elements Square, the Wintergarden will have comfortable seating and catering outlets in a leafy garden environment providing an ideal break from the busy shopping areas.
- The Avenue – this road running between The Centre and Livingston Designer Outlet will be home to the town’s five new restaurants.
- Almondvale Walk – the most easterly section of The Centre runs from JJB and Aulds along to Asda Walmart featuring favourites including WH Smith, Bodycare and M&Co.
- Almondvale Place – the mall that stretches from Semi-Chem along to Carphone Warehouse, with top names including Boots, Argos and Chisholm Hunter.
- Opening hours (October 16th - 5th November inclusive)
9am – 7pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday
9am – 8pm Thursday
9am – 6pm Saturday
10am – 6pm Sunday
- Retailers coming to Elements Square at The Centre includes: Debenhams, Marks & Spencer, Burton, Dorothy Perkins, Topshop, Tie Rack, River Island, H&M, Beaverbrooks, AB10, Principles, Warehouse, 3 Store, Barclays Diamonds, Swarovski, Ortak, Orange, Cotswold, Next, Waterstones, Jane Norman and Republic.
- Catering offer includes: Wagamama, ASK, Chiquito, Tony Roma’s and Nando’s.
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Almondvale Shopping Centre.