Cruise 118 See Surge Valentines Bookings
Monday, 18 January 2010
It seems that now, more than ever, Brits want to sail away this Valentines, according to a UK cruise retailer.
Travel company Cruise118 has had a 150 per cent surge in bookings for cruises departing around 14th February to the Caribbean, Mediterranean and Far and Middle East - a significant increase compared with bookings made in January of last year.
More than half (52 per cent) of those booking holidays said that they chose to get away this Valentines as a unique alternative to the cliché European city break, while just 10 per cent said that they were sailing away as they want to enjoy a little luxury after financial difficulties in the current recession.
People are also heading abroad to avoid over-spending this Valentines day, with over 30 per cent citing a cruise as being a cheaper alternative to a European city break which can rise costs for this annual occasion.
7 per cent of bookings were made as male passengers want to make this Valentines extra special due to planned marriage proposals.
Mal Barritt, director of Cruise118, said: "We are attributing the recent peak in bookings to holidaymakers feeling depressed about the disappointing weather we've had this year, and the results of the survey certainly seem to support this.
"A cruise holiday represents superb value for money, with most of the usual holiday extras such as food, entertainment, sunbeds and sometimes even drinks and ice cream included in the cost. Holiday makers can also choose to sail from UK ports if preferred to cut out the hassle and cost of flights to international ports, so cruises are a great option if you are limited on time."
Mal added: "After such a tough year, I think people feel they deserve a break and are eager to see some sunshine this Valentines Day."
Here's a selection of Cruise118.com's best Valentines late deals:
- 7th February 2009 - A seven-night Caribbean cruise on board the Thomson Celebration from as little as £989. Departing from La Romana (Dominican Republic), the ship calls at St Georges (Grenada), Castries (St Lucia), St Johns (Antigua), Philipsburg (St Maarten) and Road Town (Tortola) before returning back to La Romana. Flights are included.
- 8th February 2009 - An eight-night Dubai cruise on board the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Sea from as little as £959. Departing from Dubai, the ship calls at Muscat (Oman), Fujairah, Abu Dhabi and Mina Sulman (Bahrain) before returning to Dubai. Flights are included.
- 11th February 2009 - A seven-night Middle East cruise on board the Thomson Celebration from as little as £699. Departing from Sharm el Sheikh (Egypt), the ship calls at Aqaba (Jordan), Sokhna (Cairo) and Safaga (Luxor), before returning back to Sharm el Sheikh. Flights are included.
For more information visit http://www.cruise118.com/ or call 0800 280 2614.
Notes to editors:
About Cruise 118
- Cruise118 is an independent cruise retailer offering the full range of cruise holidays
- The company has three niche brands http://www.sixstarcruises.co.uk/, http://www.alaskaonly.com/ and http://www.sailfromuk.com/
- Cruise118 is the exclusive provider of cruise holidays to travelsupermarket.com
- Cruise118's team of cruise concierges provide each customer with an individually tailored service. The company's independent status means customers receive the best deals and advice when choosing and booking their cruise
- Bookings available via telephone, internet and email
- Cruise118 is committed to providing exceptional customer service as standard
- Cruise118 is ABTA bonded, offering customers complete peace of mind