Hollywood Kicks Ass Glasgow - Mclovin Joins Stars City For
Thursday, 18 February 2010
Magners Glasgow International Comedy Festival (11-28 March) has landed the Scottish premier screening of KICK-ASS, welcoming the film's stars including cult favourite and Superbad star McLovin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, teen heartthrob Aaron Johnson and KICK-ASS creator, Glaswegian Mark Millar to Cineworld on Wednesday 24th March.
The twisted, high octane adventure from director Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) follows the success of Mark Millar's hugely popular comic book, and features a host of tinsel town heroes both in front of and behind the camera - including producer Brad Pitt, screenplay co-writer Jane Goldman (wife of Jonathan Ross) and Nicolas Cage (who plays Big Daddy).
KICK-ASS tells the story of teenager Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson: Nowhere Boy), whose obsession with comic books becomes his inspiration to become a real-life superhero.
After assembling a suit and mask to wear and choosing his alias, he prepares to get to work fighting crime - but is soon faced with a disappointing reality - he has no superpowers.
Inspiring a sub-culture of copy cats, he bumps into a pair of crazed vigilantes - 11-year-old, sword-wielding Hit Girl (Chloë Moretz: 500 Days of Summer, Dirty Sexy Money), and her father Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and befriends another fledging superhero, Red Mist (Chris Mintz-Plasse: Superbad, Role Models). But thanks to the scheming of a local mob boss Frank D'Amico (Mark Strong: Sherlock Holmes, Stardust), this new alliance will be put to the test.
Sarah Niblock, Glasgow Comedy Festival Coordinator, said: "We're really excited to be able to include yet another star-studded event in our programme for this year's Festival.
"Given both the film's comedy theme and home-grown talent in creator Mark Millar, it's an ideal fit for us and we know that those Festival goers lucky enough to win tickets to the exclusive screening will love this hilarious movie from Universal Pictures."
KICK-ASS heralds a new collaboration for the Magners Glasgow International Comedy Festival with the city's premier cinema, Cineworld, and is one of a range of specially programmed films as part of this year's Festival.
Free tickets for this one-off extravaganza will be available via exclusive competitions, first news of which will be announced to fans registered on the http://www.glasgowcomedyfestival.com/ website.
The other films featuring in the Festival's selection of Cineworld Comedy Classics are:
Sun 14th March - CARRY ON UP THE KHYBER (PG) 12.50, 3.00, 5.30, 8.00pm
Mon 15th March - THE ARISTOCRATS (18) 8.30pm
Tues 16th March- BLAZING SADDLES (15) 8.30pm
Sun 21st March - CARRY ON CAMPING (PG) 12.50, 3.00, 5.30, 8.00pm
Mon 22nd March - FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (15) 8.30pm
Tues 23rd March - THE HANGOVER (15) 8.30pm
For more information visit http://www.glasgowcomedyfestival.com/
To book tickets for the Cineworld Comedy Classics, visit Cineworld, Renfrew Street or log on to http://www.cineworld.co.uk/ .
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Magners Glasgow International Comedy Festival
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Magners Glasgow International Comedy Festival ...
- - The Magners Glasgow International Comedy Festival was established in 2003 and is now in its eighth year.
- - Magners Irish Cider has been the title sponsor since 2007.
- - The Magners Glasgow International Comedy Festival is also supported by Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, Glasgow City Council, EventScotland and VisitScotland.
- - The festival is organised by the Scottish Comedy Agency, a sister company of Salt'n'Sauce Promotions Ltd, which owns and operates the highly successful Stand Comedy Clubs in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- - Tickets for all shows are available via the respective venue's own box offices or direct from the festival ticket hotline, TicketSoup, on 0844 395 4005
Glasgow City Marketing Bureau...
Glasgow City Marketing Bureau is the official destination marketing organisation (DMO) for metropolitan Glasgow. It is engaged in national and international activity comprising: development and implementation of the city branding campaign Glasgow: Scotland with style; event creation, attraction, management and marketing; conventions, incentives, meetings and exhibition sales; accommodation bookings, public relations and optimisation of the website: http://www.seeglasgow.com/
- - EventScotland is the national events agency.
- - EventScotland is working to make Scotland one of the world's leading event destinations. By developing an exciting portfolio of sporting and cultural events EventScotland is helping to raise Scotland's international profile and boost the economy by attracting more visitors.
- - For further information about EventScotland, its funding programmes and latest event news visit http://www.eventscotland.org/