Ice Cool Move Ds-Gluten Free Launch Frozen Ready Meals
Wednesday, 25 May 2011
DS-gluten free is continuing to strengthen its market-leading frozen gluten and wheat free food offering with three new frozen ready meal products.
The DS-gluten free Cannelloni and DS-gluten free Tortellini frozen ready meals, which are first to market free from products in UK retail, are available to order from June, while the DS-gluten free Lasagne has just launched and is already listed in Sainsbury's stores.
The single serve portions are complete ready meals for one, have 12 months frozen shelf life and are microwaveable for easy, quick preparation. The flavour is preserved through gentle quick-freezing as soon as the product is made, and all three new products contain no hydrogenated fats and meet 2012 FSA Salt Guidelines.
Emma Herring, Retail Brand Manager for DS-gluten free, said: "We're really excited about these latest product developments. We were determined to produce quality products that remain tasty and authentic and all three products are made from traditional Italian recipes and are made in Italy.
"Free from frozen is a sector in rapid growth, with an increase in value sales up 17.7 per cent year on year*. The growth of our DS-gluten free brand has been driven by the frozen sector, with value sales up 37 per cent year on year and these latest products show that we are continuing to innovate."
DS-gluten free has been behind many sector firsts in the last 18 months, including the development of the first frozen free from ranges in Tesco and The Cooperative in the UK, and in Dunnes in the Republic of Ireland.
Emma Herring added: "Retailers are increasingly realising that free from is a growing niche which can be profitable and offer their customers an important choice. Our continuing pipeline of innovative gluten free frozen products shows just how confident we are in the viability of this sector.
"We're continuing to reformulate to bring about step changes in quality of gluten free foods, and are driving the frozen sector forward whilst competitors mimic our products.
"A recent consumer survey showed that 43 per cent of our customers would like to see more frozen gluten free ready meals available in-store, and feedback is that they look to heritage brands such as DS-gluten free to provide them with tasty products that they can trust.
"We're proud to be sector leaders and will continue to drive market growth by representing true, proactive innovation that meets real consumer needs. And with Allergy UK citing that more than 45 per cent of people in the UK have a food allergy or intolerance, we're confident that these latest products will be well received."
For more information about the DS-gluten free range of gluten and wheat free products visit http://www.dsglutenfree.co.uk/ or call 0800 954 1981.
* Kantar Worldpanel Data 52 w/e 20 March 2011
Notes to editors:
- Dr. Schär UK is the UK division of the European company Dr. Schär, market leader and pioneer in the gluten free food sector, drawing on the company's 30 year global heritage
- Dr. Schär aims to be the leading food specialist for particular dietary and nutritional needs in Europe and America
- The company was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Its Dietary Specials (DS-gluten free) range is brand leader in the retail sector and its Glutafin brand is a leading brand in the healthcare channel.
- The company is also responsible for the marketing and distribution of the TRUfree brand in retail.
- Since 1998 the Warrington based team has been working closely with the loyal DS-gluten free customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, frozen and chilled foods
- Dr. Schär products cater for those with coeliac disease and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a gluten or wheat free diet for lifestyle reasons