Local Businesses Launch Food Pilot For Local Coeliacs
Monday, 16 August 2010
Two local businesses have joined forces to trial a new specialist food delivery service aimed at coeliacs and other people with a food allergy or intolerance.
Warrington's Nutrition Point and Dialachemist.com, a national on-line pharmacy which is based in Accrington, have launched a new service which offers local people the chance to have gluten and wheat free foods delivered directly to their door along with their prescriptions.
The pilot scheme is being trialled with consumers across Blackburn, Darwen, Rossendale, Accrington, Clitheroe, Colne, Nelson, Burnley and Barnoldswick, and if successful will be rolled out across the North West with a view to potential full UK coverage.
Michelle Shinn, Retail Brand Manager at Nutrition Point, said: "Coeliacs can only control their condition by changes to diet so having access to a wide range of gluten and wheat free foods which taste great and are easy to get hold of is key.
"We're hoping that coeliacs in the areas taking part in the trial will find the new service really useful as it will enable them to receive our range of Glutafin products on prescription, plus other gluten and wheat free products from our Dietary Specials (DS gluten free) and TRUfree brands direct to their home. And if they are ordering their prescription at the same time, delivery is free.
"Latest figures from Allergy UK show that more than 45 per cent of British people have a food allergy or intolerance, so we know there's a real demand for quality products that are convenient to access. We're hoping that this project will be a success and are looking forward to potentially being able to roll it out across the UK."
Simon Smith, Managing Director of Dialachemist Ltd, said " All the team at Dialachemist is excited by this new concept, giving patients greater access to the full range of gluten and wheat free products, delivered to their homes or place of work".
Visit www.dialachemist.com for more information or to sign up to the service.
Notes to editors:
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Their Dietary Specials brand (DS gluten free) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal DS gluten free customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- Dietary Specials (DS gluten free) caters for those with Coeliac Disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr Schär group which has been established for over 25 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and Trufree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland.
- Dialachemist is a national on-line pharmacy based in Accrington, developed by Simon Smith a local pharmacist for 30 years.