Local Food Business Shortlisted For National Awards
Tuesday, 16 March 2010
A local business is celebrating after being shortlisted for eight national awards.
Warrington-based Nutrition Point, a leading supplier of gluten and wheat free foods, has had 14 products shortlisted across eight product categories in the FreeFrom Food Awards, which are run by Food Matters and sponsored by Tesco.
Now in their third year, the FreeFrom Food Awards celebrate the innovation and imagination shown by the food industry in creating foods that do not include gluten, wheat or dairy - with many shortlisted products also being free from eggs, nuts, and other major allergens.
Winners will be announced by TV chef Antony Worrall Thompson at a special ceremony in London on 21 April.
Chris Hook, Managing Director of Nutrition Point, said: "We're thrilled that our products have been recognised in this way and can't wait for the ceremony to find out if we'll be a winner.
"The Free From food sector has seen a distinct growth in recent years, particularly as major retailers begin to expand their own offerings in this area. Last month, for example, Tesco launched their first ever frozen Free From section in stores across the UK with six new ds convenient meal solutions, and as the market leader in this area, we have been heavily involved in ensuring Coeliacs and others who can't eat foods containing wheat or gluten have as much choice as possible.
"According to Coeliac UK, Coeliac disease affects 1 in a 100 people in the UK, and cutting out gluten and wheat containing foods is the only way to control the condition. Add to that the rising number of people who have a food intolerance or allergy, and those who choose to avoid these foods as part of a lifestyle choice, and it's easy to see why the sector is growing at such a rate."
Nutrition Point is a Warrington-based company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son, who both suffer from wheat intolerance. The business was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making these foods as convenient and tasty as mainstream alternatives.
Nutrition Point has been shortlisted for the following FreeFrom Food Awards:
- The Innovation Award for the ds gluten and wheat free frozen sausage rolls
- The Gluten Free Bread and Bread Mixes Award for ds fresh multi-seeded loaf
- The Gluten Free Pasta Award for ds penne
- The Gluten Free Pizza Bases And Pastry Mixes Award for Glutafin Multipurpose White Mix
- The Gluten Free Savoury Pies, Flans and Ready Meals Award for ds tagliatelle with bacon and mushrooms, ds thin and crispy pepperoni pizza and ds deep pan mozzarella and tomato pizza
- The Gluten Free Savoury Biscuits and Snacks Award for Glutafin Crackers, and TRUfree Pretzels
- The Gluten Free Sweets, Biscuits and Cookies Award for Glutafin Gran Biscotti, Glutafin Shortbread, Glutafin Custard Creams and TRUfree Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Gluten Free Cakes, Muffins, Brownies and Mixes Award for Glutafin White Mix
Chris Hook added: "We're really looking forward to the ceremony on 21 April, and are hoping to bring some awards back to the team at our Warrington office."
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Their Dietary Specials brand (ds) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal ds customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- ds products cater for those with Coeliac Disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr Schär group which has been established for over 25 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and Trufree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland