Loving Glasses - Aloud And Proud
Monday, 07 April 2014
GIRLS ALOUD singer and West End actress Kimberley Walsh has teamed up with Specsavers and anti-bullying charity Kidscape to find a specs-wearer with Something Kinda Oooh as she launches the annual Spectacle Wearer of the Year competition.
This year’s overall winner will be presented with £10,000 in cash and a dream holiday to the Bahamas at a star-studded event hosted by Gok Wan later this year.
Kimberley says: ‘I love my glasses, I like to make a real statement by wearing something bold. They are such a part of who you are and a fun way to express yourself. Everyone should wear their specs with pride!’
‘I’ve been wearing glasses for six years. I think I let my eyes get a little bit worse than I should have before I did start wearing them but now I have fully embraced them - it’s a new look for me.’
Kimberley is the face of Specsavers’ Love Glasses campaign and the associated Spectacle Wearer of the Year competition, which sees £1 donated by Specsavers to Kidscape for every entry.
Kimberley continues: ‘We’re all more fragile and vulnerable when we’re young and bullying is much more prevalent than we think and takes many different forms. It’s important that we stand up to bullies, know how to spot the signs and encourage young people to have strength and the confidence to be themselves.’
There are four age categories – 16-24; 25-39; 40-59 and 60+, plus a Facebook favourite voted for by the public. A winner from each category will win a VIP makeover and will attend the celebrity-studded grand final in London at 8 Northumberland Avenue on 07 October.
To be in with a chance of scooping the biggest accolade in the specs-wearing world, specs wearers can enter the competition online, www.specsavers.co.uk/loveglasses, via Facebook, www.facebook.com/specsavers, or at their nearest Specsavers store.
The ultimate Spectacle Wearer of the Year winner will receive £10,000, plus a week’s holiday for two in the Bahamas courtesy of the Grand Lucayan Beach & Golf Resort and a wardrobe of specs to suit every style.
- Ends -
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Specsavers
For more information please contact the National Press Office team
T: 020 7053 6000
Notes to Editors
About the competition
- All finalists will receive a VIP make-over and goodies courtesy of celebrity hairdresser James Brown and Hollywood’s favourite make-up brand Stila.
- The Spectacle Wearer of the Year 2014 winner will be announced on 06 October at the awards final and will receive £10,000, plus a week’s holiday for two in the Bahamas courtesy of the Grand Lucayan Beach & Golf Resort and a wardrobe of specs to the value of £1,000. Plus two nights in London to attend the star-studded Spectacle Wearer of the Year Awards, a complete style makeover and a fabulous Spectacle Wearer of the Year goody bag.
Specsavers notes to editors
- Specsavers is a Partnership of almost 2,000 locally-run businesses throughout the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Spain, Australia and New Zealand, all committed to delivering high quality, affordable optical and hearing care in the communities they serve
- Each store is part-owned and managed by its own directors who are supported by key specialists in support offices that provide a range of services including marketing, accounting, IT and wholesaling, among others
- There are currently more than 1,700 partners in the UK and Republic of Ireland alone, of whom 548 have been with the Partnership for at least ten years
- Specsavers was founded in 1984 by husband and wife team, Doug and Dame Mary Perkins, who pioneered the optical joint venture partnership model and also revolutionised the industry with their innovative concept of affordable, fashionable eyecare for everyone
- Specsavers is a champion of the National Health Service – of its 17.3m customers in the UK, 60% are from the NHS and the company is the largest provider of free NHS digital hearing aids
- Specsavers is the largest employer of registered optometrists and dispensing opticians in the UK (around 3,500)
- Specsavers was voted the UK's most trusted optician by a YouGov Plc online survey of 2,272 adults, July 2013
- Total revenue for the Specsavers Group was £1.8 billion in 2012/2013
- More than 28 million customers used Specsavers globally in 2012/2013
- Specsavers stores employ more than 23,000 staff globally
- More than one in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers - 10,800,000 glasses were exported from the warehouse to stores in 2013
- Specsavers sold more than 300 million contact lenses globally in 2012/13 and has more than a million customers on direct debit schemes. Specsavers' own contact lens brand - easyvision - is the most known on the high street
- The hearcare business in the UK has established itself as the number one high street provider of adult audiology services to the NHS
- Specsavers supports several UK charities including Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, Sound Seekers, the road safety charity Brake, the anti-bullying charity Kidscape and Vision Aid Overseas, for whom stores have raised enough funds to build a school of optometry in Zambia and open eyecare outreach clinics in much of the country