Nutrition Point Celebrates National Award
Thursday, 22 April 2010
A leading free from food business is celebrating after achieving national recognition for its products at a prestigious awards ceremony last night.
Nutrition Point, a leading supplier of gluten and wheat free foods, won the best 'Savoury Biscuits and Snacks' accolade in the FreeFrom Food Awards in London.
The award, which recognised Nutrition Point's TRUfree Pretzels, was presented to the company by TV chef Antony Worrall Thompson at a special ceremony last night.
Judges commented that the pretzels were "a great snack product and a great pretzel judged against any pretzel with or without gluten".
The pretzels were also commended as a "very close second" in the 'Best Free From Food 2010' category, and Nutrition Point's dietary specials thin and crispy pepperoni pizza and deep pan mozzarella and tomato pizza received a commendation in the 'Savoury Pies, Flans, Pizzas and Ready Meals' category as "...great to have in the freezer".
Now in their third year, the FreeFrom Food Awards are run by website Food Matters (online resource for free from living), and sponsored by Tesco, to celebrate the innovation and imagination shown by the food industry in creating foods that do not include gluten, wheat or dairy - with many shortlisted products also being free from eggs, nuts, and other major allergens.
Chris Hook, Managing Director of Nutrition Point, said: "We're thrilled that our products have been recognised in this way. We're very proud of the quality and choice we provide consumers who can't eat wheat and gluten, and are pleased that the judges have recognised that.
"According to Coeliac UK, Coeliac disease affects 1 in a 100 people in the UK, and cutting out gluten and wheat containing foods is the only way to control the condition - which is why good quality free from foods are so important. Add to that the rising number of people who have a food intolerance or allergy, and those who choose to avoid these foods as part of a lifestyle choice, and it's easy to see why the sector is growing at such a rate."
"As a result of this rising trend, the Free From food sector has seen a distinct growth in recent years, particularly as major retailers begin to expand their own offerings in this area. Last month, for example, Tesco launched their first ever frozen Free From section in stores across the UK with six new ds convenient meal solutions, and as the market leader in this area, we have been heavily involved in ensuring Coeliacs and others who can't eat foods containing wheat or gluten have as much choice as possible.
Nutrition Point is a Warrington-based company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son, who both suffer from wheat intolerance.
The business was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making these foods as convenient and tasty as mainstream alternatives.
Notes to editors:
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Their Dietary Specials brand (ds) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal ds customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- ds products cater for those with Coeliac Disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr Schär group which has been established for over 25 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and Trufree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland