Oti puts her best specs forward
Tuesday, 16 April 2019
TV personality and dance diva Oti Mabuse has high-kicked off the search for the UK’s proudest glasses wearers – with a £10,000 cash prize up for grabs.
The star of Strictly Come Dancing and The Greatest Dancer showcased her own stunning specs style in a fabulous new photoshoot, as she launches Specsavers’ annual search for the Spectacle Wearer of the Year 2019.
Oti – who swaps her specs for contact lenses when she hits the dancefloor – says: ‘I’ve been wearing my glasses since I was 10 and I wear them all the time. I can’t live without them.
‘I’ve got about 20 glasses and I love changing them to go with different outfits. There are so many styles to choose from; specs are a great way for people to express themselves through fashion.
‘I feel more confident when I put my specs on. I wouldn’t be Oti without them!’
All glasses wearers aged 16 and over just need to share a selfie and tell Specsavers what their glasses mean to them to be in with chance of winning the prestigious accolade.
For every entry accepted, Specsavers will donate £1 to children’s anti-bullying charity Kidscape. Spectacle Wearer of the Year has raised more than half a million pounds for Kidscape over the past ten years.
The money raised helps support the charity in providing practical support to children and families affected by bullying.
Oti continues: ‘Kids used to call me “four eyes” but I always say four eyes are better than two. I believe people should be proud to wear glasses. Embrace them, they are part of who you are and you are fabulous!’
Seven finalists, plus a social media favourite voted for by the public, will attend a celebrity-packed awards ceremony in London, with one overall winner scooping the top award and cash prize.
Specs wearers should get snapping and share their selfie at specsavers.co.uk/loveglassescomp. Deadline for entries is 30 June 2019.
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Specsavers
For more information please contact the National Press Office team
T: 020 7053 6000
Notes to Editors
- Specsavers is a partnership of almost 2,000 locally-run businesses throughout the world -all committed to delivering high quality, affordable optical and hearing care in the communities they serve.
- Each store is part-owned and managed by its own joint venture partners who are supported by key specialists in support offices
- More than 36 million customers are registered with Specsavers and the partnership had a turnover of more than £2.6bn in 2017/18
- More than one in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers
- Specsavers is a champion of the National Health Service – of its 22.2m customers in the UK, 55% are from the NHS and the company is the largest provider of free NHS digital hearing aids
- Specsavers supports several UK charities and is in partnership with RNIB for a public awareness campaign to transform the nation’s eye health.
- Specsavers runs a home-visiting service in the UK and Ireland for those who cannot get to their local store unaccompanied.