Snozone Plays Host To British Universities Indoor Series Championship
Friday, 01 October 2010
SNO!zone has been announced as the host of the British Universities Indoor Series Championship (BUISC) 2011.
Looking to build on last year's outstanding turn-out, BUISC will be returning to SNO!zone's indoor real snow slopes across the country for heats throughout February and March, ending with the Final which will be held at Castleford on 9 March 2011.
As one of the leading supporters of British snowsports talent, SNO!zone will be hosting the entire competition, giving one university the chance to claim the title of Indoor Series Champions.
The BUISC sees students from more than 60 universities across Britain testing their ability to compete and push themselves to land their next big trick. The programme of racing and slope-style events are all rounded up with a great line up of music acts and entertainment.
Each university attends one qualifier with top competitors going through the BUISC final. Due to high-demand, BUISC has added another qualifying round in Castleford to the championships, to allow more competitors than ever before to get the chance to clinch the title.
Regis Mosseron, SNO!zone Managing Director, said: "We have worked closely with the British University Snowsports Council for a number of years and our three slopes regularly play host to this huge competition.
"We're looking to build on last year's success and make this the best BUISC yet with crammed evenings of racing events and entertainment. The finals bring the highest standard of university talent to SNO!zone and leaves students keyed-up for The Main Event later in March!"
The BUISC Finals will be running in conjunction with the Ski 2 Help event, a charity ski/snowboard event available to all UK snowsports clubs. The event follows the finals with a six hour sponsored ski/snowboard rally with DJs, bands, raffles, food, drink and general fun.
The BUISC heats will take place in SNO!zone centres throughout February and March, closing with the final in Castleford. The dates are as follows:
- Scotland qualifying round -2nd February 2011, SNO!zone Braehead
- North qualifying round - 9th February 2011, SNO!zone Castleford
- Midlands qualifying round - 16th February 2011, SNO!zone Castleford
- South qualifying round - 2nd March 2011, SNO!zone Milton Keynes
- Finals - 9th March 2011, SNO!zone Castleford
For further information about SNO!zone or to find your nearest centre visit http://www.snozoneuk.com/
- SNO!zone , the UK's only chain of indoor real snow slopes, is 10 this year
- SNO!zone took over the operation of the snow slope in Milton Keynes in 2000 and went on to design and build SNO!zone Castleford in 2003 and SNO!zone Scotland in 2006 to keep up with the growing popularity of snowsports in the UK
- In the last 10 years SNO!zone has taught more than a million people to ski or snowboard and seen more than two and a half million using its slopes to practice snowsports all year round. A further million have experienced the exhilaration of sledging and ice sliding at the three slopes
- Each 170m long main slope is covered with more than 1700 tonnes of fresh snow - equivalent to the weight of 10 blue whales or 30,000 wheelbarrows of snow
- SNO!zone has also featured in some of the UK's most popular TV programmes such as Big Brother, Cash in the Attic, Wife Swap and welcomed celebrities including Justin Timberlake, Peter Andre, Heston Blumenthal, Girls Aloud and Heather Mills
- SNO!zone also nurtures some of the best young snowsports talent in the UK sponsoring more than 60 athletes annually including Olympians Zoe Gillings and Sean Rose
- As well as the main slope, a dedicated lesson slope at each centre allows visitors to learn the basics of skiing and snowboarding with qualified instructors
- Activities on offer at every centre include skiing, snowboarding, sledging and ice sliding
- When not on the slope, visitors can enjoy some après ski at the Alpine themed SNO!bars