Solar Firm Helps Mercy Mission to Malawi
Friday, 14 September 2012
A Scottish solar energy supplier has pledged to back a caring Scottish teenager who has travelled to Malawi to provide medical care to disadvantaged people in a remote African village.
Absolute Solar and Wind Ltd has donated £1000 to help fund the work of 17-year-old Mercy McFarlane who hails from Conon Bridge, just north of Inverness.
The aspiring medical student is currently working in a new medical centre in Malawi - which has only one medical assistant to care for a local population of more than 20,000.
Mercy's father Ross, who works as a surveyor in Absolute's Inverness office, said his daughter was inspired to help others after a stint in hospital herself.
"It was during a stay in hospital when she had a burst appendix that she decided she wanted to be a surgeon," he explained.
"Since then she has applied to do medicine next year, volunteered with the Red Cross and helped with the ambulance service at different events.
"Then, when she heard about the medical centre in this remote area in Malawi, she contacted charity Joy to the World and volunteered to help."
While Mercy is settling into life in Dzuwa, 90km northwest of the capital Lilongwe, Ross said it has already been an eye opener for the inspirational Ross-Shire youngster.
"We had a few emails from her and she is absolutely loving it. She says the people she is with are very friendly and caring and she realises how many things she has taken for granted in her life.
"There is no running water. The medical centre has no electricity, but there are a few solar panels on the roof of the house owned by the charity which provide light during the day.
"It cost Mercy quite a bit of money to go so we can't thank everyone who has supported her fundraising enough."
Terry Doherty, Absolute Solar and Wind Ltd's Sales and Marketing Director, said: "Mercy is an inspirational young lady and a credit to her family and her community.
"We were delighted and honoured to be able to support her during her time in Malawi, and on hearing some of the stories from her time there already it has inspired us to help the community that Mercy volunteers in. We will be working with Mercy to provide additional support wherever we can in the months ahead."
Anyone who wishes to support Mercy's Malawi mission can donate online at - http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=4229&url=fundr
Notes to editors:
- Absolute Solar and Wind was established in Scotland in 2007 and is the country's number one company for solar and renewable energy solutions.
- Absolute is a member of the Renewable Energy Association (REA) and is one of the best installers of Solar Photovoltaic, Solar thermal and Micro Wind Energy Turbines in the UK.
- Absolute offers a complete service: design, sales and installation - throughout the UK
- As an approved installer under the Government MCS accredited scheme, Absolute Solar and Wind is dedicated to photovoltaic renewable energy and is now at the forefront of the UK's rising green energy technology sector.
- In April 2010 the UK Government pledged to have 7 million homes using solar power by 2020.