Sunderland Shoppers Encouraged To Sign Up Support Global Issue
Tuesday, 20 July 2010
A nationwide petition has been launched at the Bridges today (Thursday 15th July) with the aim of encouraging hundreds of Sunderland shoppers to sign up and raise awareness of the issues surrounding sex trafficking.
The Body Shop, located on Market Square Mall, is launching its 'Stop Sex Trafficking of Children and Young People 2010' campaign with the aim to raise awareness and vital funds for victims or those at risk of trafficking.
Human trafficking exists in countries all over the world and according to the United Nations it is the third-largest and fastest-growing criminal industry in the world.
The campaign, now in its second year, has gathered support all over the world and The Body Shop will be taking thousands of signatories on the petitions to the United Nations in 2011.
In the hope of stamping a Sunderland mark on the petition, The Body Shop store plan to take the petition around Sunderland this summer with the aim of getting hundreds of signatories from local residents. The petition will be located in the store but will also be out and around the Bridges, the town centre and will make an appearance within the stands before Sunderland's first football match of the season later next month.
Caroline Taylor, Sales Assistant at The Body Shop, says: "Sex trafficking is such a huge global issue and we want to create as much awareness to the situation as possible. Simply encouraging local people to sign our petition is a great way of demonstrating how strongly people feel about this cause."
Sarah King, marketing manager at the Bridges, adds: "It's a fantastic opportunity for The Body Shop to bring a national campaign to our doorstep and the Bridges is very committed to supporting the store in this initiative.
"We urge people to take a minute of their time to add their name to the petition while out and about shopping."
Shoppers can also support the campaign when purchasing the Soft Hands Kind Heart Hand Cream in-store, which retails at £3.50 with the proceeds going towards ECPAT (End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and the Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes) and other organisations that support victims of trafficking.
Notes to Editors
- The Bridges is owned and operated by Land Securities. More information on Land Securities can be found on http://www.landsecurities.com/
- The Bridges provides 515,000 sq ft (47,845 sq m) of retail space in the heart of Sunderland
- Over 100 retailers including Debenhams, Tesco, Boots, Next, HMV, H&M, River Island, Monsoon and New Look
- It attracts more than20 million visitors each year, with a combined catchment of 663,000 people
- The Bridges has excellent public transport links and 940 parking spaces attached to the centre
Land Securities Group PLC
- Land Securities is the UK's leading Real Estate Investment Trust with a national portfolio of commercial property. Our investment portfolio also has more than 50 retail parks and shopping centres including Bristol's Cabot Circus and Exeter's quadruple award-winning Princesshay site.
- Land Securities' multi billion pound development programme is transforming regional city centres including Cardiff and Leeds, key Central London sites and delivering long-term, large-scale regeneration projects in the South East.
- Half of the Land Securities' portfolio is in London, where it owns landmark buildings such as the Piccadilly Lights and Westminster City Hall, and is developing some of the capital's most innovative mixed-use schemes, such as One New Change in Mid-town and Park House on Oxford Street.