Trufree Gets Tesco Boost Free From Sector Continues To Grow
Monday, 13 September 2010
Nutrition Point's TRUfree wheat and gluten free biscuit range has been given a boost this month as Tesco confirms it will list the brand's Chocolate Finger biscuits in 178 of its stores.
This is the latest listing for Nutrition Point, which is also responsible for supplying its market leading Dietary Specials (DS gluten free) product range to retailers across the UK and Ireland.
The TRUfree Chocolate Fingers, which are already available in Asda stores and on Lloydspharmacy online, were launched earlier this year in response to the buoyant sector - with latest Kantar Worldpanel data showing overall gluten and wheat free biscuit sales up by 15 per cent in value, with branded products driving the growth with 19.5 per cent value.
The biscuits were launched following consumer research carried out by Nutrition Point, and the final product received excellent feedback from the taste testers involved.
Nutrition Point also supplies Tesco with its TRUfree Bourbon Biscuits, Custard Creams, High Fibre and Herb & Onion Crackers and Pretzels as well as its DS gluten free Brown Ciabatta Rolls, Margherita Pizza, Sausage Rolls and Shortcrust Pastry.
Emma Herring, Retail Brand Manager at Nutrition Point, said: "Branded sales in gluten and wheat free biscuits have already secured strong growth year on year.
"Tesco is currently underperforming against the current gluten and wheat free biscuit market growth, with just 1.8 per cent increase year on year.
"We're confident this new listing will further help to meet demand from category consumers who want sweet treats which meet their specialist dietary needs.
"Our research shows that gluten and wheat free shoppers really struggle when it comes to finding quick snacks and we're pleased to be offering even more choice to the consumer."
Notes to editors:
- Nutrition Point is a UK company which was established in 1998 by entrepreneur Chris Hook, who was frustrated at the lack of food choices available for his wife and son who both suffer from wheat intolerance
- Nutrition Point was established to distribute and market gluten and wheat free products and remains committed to making gluten and wheat free food as convenient and tasty as mainstream foods
- Their Dietary Specials brand (DS gluten free) is brand leader in the sector
- Since 1998 the team has been working closely with the loyal DS gluten free customer base to develop a superb product range including ambient, chilled and frozen foods
- ds products cater for those with Coeliac Disease, and wheat or gluten allergies or intolerances, and are also suitable for those who choose a wheat or gluten free diet for lifestyle reasons
- In 2002, Nutrition Point became part of the Dr Schär group which has been established for over 25 years and is the European market leader in gluten and wheat freefoods
- In 2006, Dr Schär further strengthened their consumer offering across Europe by acquiring the whole free from business unit from Numico. This acquisition meant that Nutrition Point became responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Glutafin brand in healthcare and Trufree brand in retail throughout the UK and Ireland