Warburtons Bellshill Bakery Has Charity Donations Wrapped Up
Wednesday, 30 September 2009
Warburtons Bellshill bakery has won the Derrick Warburton Trophy and £1,500 for producing the best Warburtons 800g White (wax wrap) loaf in the UK and has chosen to donate the prize money to Diabetes UK and British Heart Foundation (BHF) Scotland.
Brett Warburton, Warburtons executive director, visited the bakery to present this prestigious trophy and the prize money to Warburtons general manager, Ian Connell. The bakery staff decided to donate £750 to Diabetes UK Scotland and the nation's heart charity.
The Derrick Warburton Trophy, named after a fourth generation member of the Warburton family, is an inter-bakery competition that rewards Warburtons bakeries for the highest quality products created. All of Warburtons 14 bakeries throughout the country went head-to-to head in the quest to win the best award for 800g White Wax wrap, 800g Farmhouse loaf, 400g Wholemeal loaf, rolls and crumpets.
Ian Connell, Warburtons general manager Scotland, said: "We are delighted to have won this trophy as it highlights the hard work and dedication of our staff, who all put so much effort into maintaining the quality of Warburtons bread. We are delighted to be able to use the prize money to support such worthwhile charitable causes and I hope that our donations go some way towards helping the people across Scotland who suffer from diabetes or heart disease."
Marjory Burns, Director of BHF Scotland, said: "As the nation's heart charity we are dedicated to saving lives through pioneering research, patient care, campaigning for change and by providing vital information. We rely on donations of time and money to continue our life-saving work. This generous donation from Warburtons is greatly appreciated."
Notes to Editors:
- Warburtons is the UK's leading independent baker and was established in a grocery shop in Bolton in 1876 by Thomas and Ellen Warburton. Today the business is actively run by the fifth generation of the Warburton family - Jonathan, Brett and Ross.
- Warburtons is the second biggest grocery brand in the UK .
- With fourteen bakeries and thirteen depots around the UK, the company serves customers from the Scottish Islands & Highlands in the North to Southampton in the South.
- Warburtons produces over two million loaves, rolls and crumpets every day and in the UK we eat the equivalent of nine million large loaves of bread on a daily basis .
• For local stockists please call the Warburtons Freephone Customer Careline on 0800 243 684.