Six Month Old Baby Rowan Named as UK’s Cutest Kid
Thursday, 29 November 2012
A six month old baby boy is set for stardom after beating off competition from more than 2,300 other children to scoop the top prize in a nationwide contest.
Some of the world’s top models, including Kate Moss and David Gandy, were discovered as teenagers before going on to become household names, but little Rowan Stone from Solihull has had a major head start by winning the annual ‘Little Face of Venture’ competition.
Run by the UK’s biggest family photography company, Venture Photography, the competition attracted a total of 24,000 public votes and raised thousands for sick children’s charity, WellChild, with Venture donating £1 to the cause for each entry received.
Cutie Rowan is set for a bumper Christmas and new year having won a one-year modeling contract with prestigious London-based agency MOT Models and £500 to spend on Toys R Us goodies, as well as becoming the new ‘face’ of the UK’s largest photography company.
Rowan’s mum Becki screamed with joy when she heard that her son or as she describes her “cheeky chappy” had won:
“I am so thrilled to find out Rowan has been named as the winner. We had been told by a few friends that Rowan could be a model and when we saw this competition we thought why not, never thinking he would win. Obviously, as his family we know he has the look, but to win this title is amazing.
“The whole experience has been fantastic and we can’t wait to see Rowan’s picture on display in all of Venture’s studios – we are so proud. It also opens the door to modeling which will be really exciting for the whole family. We want to say a big thank you to the team at Venture Leamington Spa for taking this amazing picture and a family photoshoot we will never forget.”
Rowan’s dad Thomas continued “Rowan is a very bubbly, spirited young boy who loves life. His image captures one of his favourite things, his bath time, which finishes with us wrapping him up in his eared hooded towel. Both Becki and I are so proud of him and to hear the judges saw what we see is really heartwarming. Well done Rowan!”
The competition, which is in its second year, offered for the first time a one year modeling contract to the winner, which meant parents jumped at the chance to land a unique once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for their children.
More than half of entrants were also siblings, as families looked to enter all of their brood, including the four Woodland children from Cheltenham who performed well in competition.
Mother of Sonny (6 months) Todd (4 Years) Noah (8 Years) and Ellis (11 years), Charlotte Woodland, said “Venture captured all of the boy’s cheeky characters perfectly in the images and we loved them all. The older boys really wanted to enter and we felt it only fair to make the competition open to their younger brothers too, so we asked for all images to be entered. We made sure to ask our families and friends to vote for all of our boys and left the rest up to the public. We are very proud of them and it was lovely to see all of their little faces in the competition together.”
After Venture launched its ‘Little Face of Venture’ competition in August, family members and friends flocked to the online competition gallery to vote and whittled down the huge number of entries to 34 regional winners – one for each Venture Photography studio across the UK. These regional winners were then judged by a panel consisting of Venture Photography’s Creative Director Richard Mayfield, and MOT Models’ Head of Junior Division Kathryn Bristow and Director Alison Griffin.
Richard Mayfield from Venture said that choosing the winning entry was difficult, but that little Rowan really stood out:
“With so many fantastic images to choose from, picking one winner was an enormously tricky task but in the end we had to choose Rowan as our winner because we love the expression and personality on this image.
“It was great to see so many siblings enter this year in particular and see the competition become even bigger and better.
“At Venture we look to bring out individuality with our photography, and Rowan showed bundles of character during the photoshoot. We wish him well in his fledging career as a model with MOT.”
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Venture, the leading contemporary photography company, was founded in 2000.
- Venture introduced a new concept to the world of portrait photography, reinventing the staged “family portrait”. A Venture shoot is designed to be a full experience, capturing the magic moment by encouraging natural, playful behaviour during the shoot resulting in eye-catching photographs to treasure forever
- There are 34 Venture photographic studios across the UK. Venture also has studios in Asia and in the USA, with plans to significantly expand its presence internationally.
- For more information about WellChild, the national charity for sick children, visit www.wellchild.org.uk
- MOT Models is one of London and Europe's leading model agencies. It specialises in high quality commercial and fashion models for stills and TV commercials.
- MOT was established in 1984 and works with models of all ages, ethnicities and types. For more information, visit http://www.motmodel.com/
- Toys “R” Us is Britain’s and the World’s leading Family Leisure, Baby Care and Toy Megastore with stores in the UK and over 1,500 stores worldwide in 33 countries.
- Toys “R” Us was founded in the UK in 1985 with the opening of five stores and has grown rapidly through new stores openings in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. For more information, visit www.toysrus.co.uk